“Mexican with a twist ”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: New Town
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went with my friend for lunch. Absolutely loved the cosy feel of the place. The service was very good. Pork ribs and chicken wings were awesome - generous quantities . The margarita was a slight let down as they don’t prepare it fresh. If I ever come back to Edinburgh will definitely visit this place.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Best food of 2018 to date at El Cartel. Tastiest tacos I’ve ever eaten...and that includes better than some amazing street taquerias in Mexico. We had the duck, cod, pork and ox tongue. All were super delicious! We also had the al pastor ribs which were good but the al pastor sauce was a bit too watery and sweet, still yummy though! Good drinks, good setting, good service. I was a fan of the Mexican restaurant which used to be in this location but I’m happy to swap it for the mouth-watering fresh flavors of El Cartel.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having never been to Mexico and only had formula Mexican food before, I could not say if this was 'authentic' or not. I do know that it tasted very fresh, absolutely delicious and gave great pleasure to us.
We had a good selection from the menu and shared it all between four of us which let us taste pretty much everything. The guacamole was sublime, the various tacos were amazing, the ceviche was brilliant and the quesadillas were lucious. The bottled sauces were good and allowed us to add as much chilli as each wanted.
Only bad decision was to share between four since we only got 2-3 bites of each dish but we all wanted more! We'll share in pairs next time.
We waited about an hour before they called us for our table on a Friday night but a nice pub choice is available close by to have a preprandial drink.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had lunch here based on the good reviews and it lived up to my expectations. We had the jalapeño poppers, the ox, steak and cod tacos and the chorizo quesadilla. It was all delicious and exactly what I expected. The food is well thought out and packed full of flavour. Service was friendly and it was great value for money.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Yeah....it was alright. Glad I went. Probably never go again. Really depends what you’re into, and apparently I’m not really into this. 3 stars.