Hilton Edinburgh Carlton
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
  • Room Service
The Inn on the Mile(Edinburgh)
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
The Inn Place(Edinburgh)
Old Town Chambers(Edinburgh)
Excellent 5/5
1,039 results
All reviewsthe executive loungeroyal milethe marco pierre white restaurantnorth bridgetrain stationexcellent locationlovely hotelhigh streetprinces streetcentral locationstreet noiseporridgehaggisluggagecastlemirrorpubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As a Hilton Diamond member I have stayed in lots of different Hilton hotels around the UK over many years and I can honestly say this hotel was the best by a mile...it really did exceed my expectations.
I used my points to stay two nights at this hotel, taking my husband away for a romantic city break. He has never stayed in a Hilton hotel before, so I was slightly worried as they can sometimes be a little run down and corporate / sole-less...but not the Hilton Carlton Edinburgh.
The hotel has recently been refurbished and they have done a good job. Our room was fantastic, no real views but you didn’t need it as we only came back to our room to sleep. As so many other reviewers have already said the location of the hotel has to be the best in Edinburgh.
The Executive lounge was great, although really disappointed there was no sparkling wine, as available in most other hilton lounges. But there was a choice of wine, beer and soft drinks etc. You could even get a full Sunday roast on Sunday evening...wow!
Hotel staff were nice enough, helpful but not overly friendly. They did send up to our room some sweat treats when we arrived which was a really nice touch and were helpful with all other requests....we couldn’t have asked for more.
Breakfast was great, although service was a little slow.
Would I stay here again, absolutely.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good things first. Stylish building outside and stylish lobby area and also Marco Pierre White's restaurant upstairs. Location couldn't be much better. Short walk away from Waverley Train Station, where you can go for example to Glasgow. Also steps away from Royal Mile, where is beautiful Holyrood Palace in other end and amazing Edinburgh Castle in other end. But then those not so good things. I was our anniversary and I took Executive Room and 5 nights costs 1248£(=1427€ or 1758$). Because Edinburgh isn't so expensive than London for example, so we were waiting 5 star experience. However view from our room was just AC machines/ventilations(check my pic) and there also were side view from another rooms, so we decided to keep our curtains close all the time. Lounge itself was small and no views either, selection was real limited considering many other Hilton Lounges we've been before. Normal breakfast wasn't included for that price, so we ate that in Lounge and selection was real limited then too(one type of cheese, one type of juice, no fresh veggies etc.). So overall OK stay, but we just expected as good "level" as before in Hilton Executive rooms.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple

Good points:

Luggage taken directly to your room if not ready on arrival
Everywhere clean and tidy
Central location

Bad points:

Staff were quite corporate, bland and not that knowledgeable. Always seemed to be busy and guests were almost an inconvenience
Shower poor, expected at least rainfall type
Exec lounge guests should be monitored more carefully, a full on works party took place with people being let in by the one with a card.
Very noisy floorboards. First night I barely slept, could hear shouting/loud talking from somewhere in the hotel from 2am. Sounds of running across the floor and repeated, intermittent thumping noise like something being knocked on, doors slamming etc. (this was a Monday night & I was on the top floor!!)
Fire alarm went off randomly on and off 1 day but staff claimed to have no knowledge of it.

Advice to the hotel would be to consider all guests equally, don't just pander to the business users. Business accounts are only good if the Company has the budget in these times of austerity. In my company, most are forced to travel early/late to avoid staying over now. Individual travellers have control of where they stay, they recommend to work colleagues, friends, family etc.

I wouldn't rush to stay here again as I felt invisible as a guest, nobody asked at any point or when I was leaving if my visit had been good. I gave them plenty of opportunities to excel but the response each time was rather lacklustre and disinterested. Bar lacked any atmosphere and on the whole I was disappointed.

And Hilton, please change the toiletries, been the same for a few years now and I don't know anybody who likes them, really poor quality compared to most hotels.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Akshay A, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear A S,

Thank you for the feedback you have shared with us via TripAdvisor. I am sorry that some of the aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I have passed on your comment to the relevant department managers to assist them with monitoring our standards in these areas.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The facilities are excellent, built for the modern traveler, plenty of outlets. The staff in this hotel were excellent. We spilt our trip, they held our luggage while we went to Inverness and Glasgow for 5 days and returned to Edinburgh, Great exercise facility, the restaurant is top shelf.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor on opposite sides, Both were quite, one had a bath tub the other did not
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Dennis C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the overall experience of our hotel.
Thank you again for your comments and 5* rating and I hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Having visited Edinburgh on a number of occasions, this is the first time that we have stayed at the Hilton Carlton. I so wish we had discovered this place earlier. The service is first class, and the accommodation is contemporary and extremely well presented. However, for us, by far the single most lovely gesture was the hand written chocolate message congratulating us on our 17th wedding anniversary. Thank you for making this such a memorable stay.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear David H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton. I am pleased to hear that you had a PERFECT stay with us! I appreciate your compliments of our service and team. I will share your feedback with my team.
Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back again in future.

Kind Regards,