“Nice Staff with good food ”
Review of Villager

Villager
Ranked #649 of 2,701 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: The Villager has been recommended several times on the Ediburgh forum it is a great place for food and drinks. I did visit it during my last visit to Edinburgh and really want to add my review.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The place was nice to eat something, soup, burgers, salads... The Staff was very polite and the food good enough for the price. Its not the best place in Edinburgh but its been ok.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

The Villager looks nice from the outside and has a good menu, however, when you get inside the experience is quite different. Everything was “ok” but definitely would not visit again. Lots of much nicer places nearby.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

After ordering fish and chips we waited for over half an hour to be given COLD fish and chips without about 5 chips and no mushy peas. After asking for mushy peas we were told that they were an add on you had to pay for, although given as a side to the meal on the menu. Disappointed in the service and the food. Definitely not returning.

1  Thank bethisdabest
Reviewed 25 March 2018

One star review due to illegal overcharging. We were charged a surcharge for using a credit card to pay, which has been illegal in the UK since the European Payments Directive came into force in January.

I wrote a longer version of this review which TripAdvisor rejected. To be clear, this is a first hand report, I have a copy of the receipt if anyone wants to verify it, and anyone who wants to spend 2 minutes googling can find out that card charges are indeed illegal.

1  Thank kdt43
Reviewed 23 March 2018

I had heard that Villager had some connection to Outsider across the road, perhaps that is not true but it did mean that I was expecting a lot more from this place when I came for lunch with a friend. The decor is deliberately 'shabby chic' I think but did not come off for me personally. My mac and cheese had a promising-looking cheesy crust but was very watery and mustardy underneath. We were offered a pint or a glass of our soft drinks which is fair enough but the glass turned out to be very small. I also thought it was a pity the staff did not come out from behind the bar to take our order when the place was almost completely empty.
One positive was the wedges which were good. There is also plenty of seating and obviously the location is handy for tourists. In summary, not somewhere I would go again.