“Great lunch”

Ranked #26 of 406 Restaurants in Dundee
Price range: US$15 - US$22
Cuisines: European, Scottish, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Set on Dundee’s prominent waterfront and housed within an iconic Victorian railway station, Bridgeview Station Café-restaurant boasts unparalleled panoramic views over the Tay estuary and aims to set a new standard for casual dining within the city. Nominated for two Architectural awards, Bridgeview Station was based on the original design of Dundee’s old Magdalen Green Railway Station and was constructed over 6 years with no expense spared, using local skilled tradesmen.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I’d recommend booking, most people seem to and otherwise it’s just luck if you get a table at lunchtime, we were lucky on this occasion.
Lovely friendly waitress quickly and efficiently cleared a table for us and we sat in a very busy restaurant for lunch. Despite how busy it was, we didn’t have to wait long to be served and we ordered our food and drink quite quickly.
We were given lunchtime, specials, desserts and drinks menus and she told us what the soup of the day was for reference.
I ordered the fish platter and my partner opted for a piri piri chicken sandwich.
We accompanied this with two diet cokes and I had a latte. Unfortunately they only had semi-skimmed milk but what’s a little extra fat between friends :) It proved to be a very nice mild latte.
My fish platter arrived and it consisted of fresh homemade bread (optional butter), lovely little oatcakes, a small leafy salad, an Arbroath smokie pate, some lively capers, a portion of prawns, some seafood sauce and some smoked salmon. Although this sounds a lot, it’s not really and I would actually class it as a very light lunch!
There wasn’t a huge amount of anything other than the oatcakes and the tangy capers. The prawns were very small, and tasted like they had been recently defrosted, not really a great prawn taste. Similarly the pate was a very mild smokie flavour and I wouldn’t have recognised it as such if I hadn’t read the menu. This said it was overall not a bad platter but I would say at £8, not really value for money.
My partner’s sandwich was made from huge bloomer loaf slices and it was well filled and extremely tasty. A wee bit leafy salad on the side and some vegetable crisps to add to the plate. He certainly had no complaints.
Overall a £20 lunch, a wee bit high but no more so than a chain like Costa, but with much better service and, despite the snow, a much better view!
Thank you for fitting us in without booking.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We loved this restaurant. We visited it after a positive review in the Sunday Herald. The value for money is excellent at £23 for a 3 course meal. I follow a low carb diet and I had no problem finding something tasty and my hubs had lovely chunky chips with his steak so somethings for us both. We had a lovely wine too. It has great views of the bridge as the name suggests and is a really cute restaurant. The bill came to around £65 for 2 three course meals with a bottle of nice wine. The service was friendly and professional. It’s really handy if you are staying at the Dundee Centre Premier Inn as it is just a 15 minute walk along the path by the river . We’re going back!

1  Thank Annette C
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Phoned this morning and managed to book a table for 6 for my 2 sisters, kids, Dad and myself. Both sisters vegetarian but having looked at the menu online there was something for everyone! Thoroughly enjoyed the food and the staff were friendly and attentive - we were made very welcome and will definitely be back! Lovely views of the rail bridge and aeroplanes taking off - my daughter enjoyed watching them all. A lovely place to have a family lunch.

1  Thank andrea b
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Met a client here for a cup of tea and a scone - all very nice. Service was good although after telling the server that we wouldn't be ordering a meal, they proceed to give us menus and asked for our food order along with repeated visits to our table. A little pushy for my liking.
The other guests at other tables food looked good. I would probably come back for a meal, just not with work.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Having visited Dundee three times a year for 24 years, there aren’t many restaurants we haven’t tried. For some reason, this was one of them.

After our meal today, we will definitely be back! The food was delicious, staff friendly (and clearly enjoy working there) and the view is stunning.

I have to say, I’m surprised by the few negative reviews here, most of which seem to suggest slow service. Either things have changed significantly since those reviews were written or some people were just moaning for something to do.

2  Thank derekdadog