Europa Hotel - Belfast
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ten Square(Belfast)
  • Pool
4,752 results
All reviewspiano baropera housegreat victoria streetexecutive roomlovely hotelporridgebuffet stylethe heart of the citycentral locationtop classafternoon teareception staffnorthern irelandfrom start to finishsaturday nightcar parkbombed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We just love relaxing and the Europa Hotel fits the bill perfectly. We are visit two or three times a year and Dermot always has a welcoming smile and a kind word. Ashling looked after us at breakfast the next morning and kept our coffee cups topped up.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
europa M, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Hotel - Belfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear fergal115,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us again and that you were particularly impressed by Ashling at breakfast and Dermot on our concierge desk. We really do appreciate you loyalty and custom. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a difficult review to write because some aspects of the hotel were excellent, some good, some average and some very, very poor.

I’ll start with the positives :- The Christmas Day Banquet was really quite exceptional in every respect. The choice of dishes for starters, mains and desserts was nothing short of astounding. Everything was delicious and cooked absolutely perfectly. The Chefs and all kitchen staff have every reason to be proud of their efforts. The management and waiting staff on duty were all in good spirits too and this all added to a lovely Christmas Day experience.. Everyone working on Christmas Day 2017 should be proud of their efforts.

The Reception Desk staff are functional but nothing more. However, all the other front of house staff we encountered throughout our stay were really incredibly friendly and helpful. They really do go the extra mile and we found this to be the case at breakfast time, at dinner in the restaurant and when we had afternoon tea or drinks in the Piano lounge. A special mention going to Andy, one of the front of house managers upstairs, who was very hospitable.

Now for the issue that was hugely disappointing - our room.....

We booked 5 nights in an Executive Room because it promised a very high standard of luxury and comfort. Also I like to relax in a bath after a day sight seeing. We were allocated Room 537 as far as I can recall. It had a high window with no view but we weren’t that bothered as long as it was quiet.

Imagine our dismay to find a badly ripped chair on entering. Lots of gouges all over it. Why was this even in a luxury ‘executive’ room? The shower door was hanging off it’s hinges and wouldn’t stay shut and cold air poured from an air vent directly above the shower cubicle. The in-room safe was initially unusable because the bolts had been locked in the OUT position and needed re-set by staff.

I went down to reception the next day and reported the problems with shower and the safe. Someone came up to fix the safe but nothing was done to fix the shower door etc.

The bathroom was absolutely FREEZING throughout our stay. No heating whatsoever so the floor tiles were like standing on blocks of ice. Couldn’t use the bath because the bathroom was freezing. I don’t even feel the cold much and don’t like an overly warm bathroom so that shows how ridiculously cold it was. Also, because of a long glass panel, the entire bedroom lights up when you visit the loo during the night. There’s no natural light in the toilet so you have to put the light on. What a crazy design!

Then when I went to use the kettle in our ‘luxury’ room, I found the switch missing and just an exposed ‘peg’ where the switch should be. Not just shabby but potentially dangerous too. Despite leaving scores of reviews, I’ve never felt the need to take photos but took one of the torn chair and kettle, both of which staff should have reported and changed.

Housekeeping was a dead loss. We were supposed to have bottles of mineral water supplied in our so called ‘executive’ room but that wasn’t provided beyond the first day. Other items weren’t replenished when they should have been e.g. tissues, loo roll, teabags. On Christmas morning, I had to take the lift to 5 different floors looking for a member of housekeeping staff just to get basic items for the room. There’s a number to call for Housekeeping but they don’t answer and messages left weren’t actioned, hence my multi-floor search for staff. If they were only providing a reduced housekeeping service over the Christmas holiday, they should have ensured rooms were fully ‘loaded’ with sufficient supplies for the duration. Housekeeping management need to get their act together.

The worst thing was noticing on the last day that the actual duvet, pillows etc inside the covers were absolutely FILTHY. I never look but sneaked a peep and wished I hadn’t, There wasn’t even a mattress protector under the bottom sheet. I was totally disgusted to find a duvet, mattress and pillows so utterly FILTHY they should have been incinerated long since. I felt quite queasy....

POSITIVES : the public areas are very pleasant and well kept ; the vast majority of staff are lovely, friendly and keen to please ; the Christmas Day Banquet was also quite exceptional.

NEGATIVES : our ‘executive’ room was beyond disappointing as it was shabby, grubby, dull and very cold. Housekeeping was also well below average.

All in all, I can only give this hotel an average mark but this is purely because of the cold and shabby room and substandard maintenance and housekeeping. It spoiled what could have been a really exceptional stay in an iconic Belfast hotel.

We will return to Belfast but really aren’t sure if we would return to the Europa. There’s so much thats right about it but it was marred by massive negatives. Hence, I’m afraid it’s an all round score of ‘Average’.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear Fyrishsunset,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay over the festive period.

I am pleased to read that there were certain aspects of your stay that you found exceptional including our Christmas day buffet and overall you felt the staff were friendly and helpful. I know that Andy will be pleased that you have mentioned him especially. I am very disappointed that we have failed to meet our usual standards in certain areas and that there were aspects of the room that left you disappointed. I have spoken to one of our housekeeping managers about your review and she would be keen to speak to you directly regarding this. Rose would love it if you could contact her directly on housekeeping@eur.hastingshotels.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Small but comfortable room. Room nicely decorated and dark in the morning. Comfy bed. Bar is a lovely setting but very dear (£11 for a glass of wine) and service slow. Great location. Ideal for a couple.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Danielle M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am pleased to read you found our rooms comfy and nicely decorated and that you are a fan of our cloud mattresses. Our location is perfect for exploring the city and I am glad you would agree. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Amazing hotel ,lovely large rooms staff very friendly and helpful would definitely recommend .Another good reason to use this hotel trains and bus terminals are so close. Whilst stopping at the hotel you gotta try the breakfast were else can you have bushmills whiskey on your porridge or really good Ulster fry up.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mick O,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am so pleased to read you are a fan of our full Irish breakfast and especially our porridge with Bushmills whiskey. I know our staff will be so pleased they made your stay extra memorable and that you would be happy to recommend us to other travellers. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First stay will not be my last. Saturday night greated by staff booked in and got a fantastic upgrade to a suite. Room was excellent staff restaurant excellent. Was just a pleasure staying there and would happily pay to stay again.

Room Tip: Just relax and enjoy the heart of Belfast
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear BigAl1050,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for recommending us to other travellers.

I am so pleased you were impressed by our receptions teams warm welcome and that you found our restaurant and rooms of such a high standard. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.