“Don’t eat here”

Ranked #215 of 1,351 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Bar
Neighborhood: Cathays
Description: Irie Shack was established in 2013, bringing traditional Caribbean cuisine and a taste of the tropics to South Wales. Providing high quality meals is our priority; using traditional jerk pit cooking methods, our bespoke built charcoal grills provide the authentic flavours of the Islands. Whilst our bar offers an extensive range of cocktails, made from traditional spirits and exotic fruits. Situated in the heart of Cathays, the restaurant is bright and refreshing, offering a summer getaway whatever the weather. Our friendly staff are on hand to guide you through our menus and offer alternatives to those less adventurous. Music is the food of the soul, and at Irie Shack we can't get enough! Unwind in our topical inspired bar and be whisked away to your own island retreat with the sounds of the best soul, funk, reggae and regular live music acts.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The staff were extremely rude when I ate here. Both the manager and one of the waitresses. Their attitudes were disgusting and I will never go back. The food is mediocre. My Caribbean Bites starter was burnt. Avoid this place.

1  Thank StephenN778

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Taken there by some friends who live in Cardiff and had a great meal with good service. Food was really good, I had the Hot Chicken curry dish, wow it was hot but so tasty

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

The Irie Shack was recommended to me by Terence at Hotel Indigo and he was spot on.

The place is oozing with character the staff were so accommodating and helpful and the food was amazing.

I had Mutton Dressed as Lamb and Dutty Fries..... it was amazing, so tasty.

I will definitely return and I suggest you visit too.!

2  Thank DavidMeagan
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Visited here with my wife Saturday evening. All staff were friendly and polite and restaurant is clean and presentable. Music is excellent which adds the extra touch of feeling surrounded by the sounds and smells of the Caribbean.

We tried Dumplings which were excellent and authentic, couldn’t believe we had not visited sooner. The Prawns are also incredible - sweet and moist.

For mains we tried the Curry Chicken Hot and Jerk Beef Burger and ended with upside down pineapple cake.

Prices are extremely reasonable and for the portions and quality very very good.

A must visit for Caribbean food which will open up the senses.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

To summarise my experience in the irie shack.

The food was excellent and very reasonable. there is a good vibe there, although the music was a bit loud if you're out having a meal catching up with friends.

The service was mediocre and they tried to add extra drinks to the bill , which they did take off after we had flagged this to them. though this is always annoying and does make me question their intercity.

We will return again as there was lots on the menu we would like to eat! however, there are things they could improve to make this a 5 star..mainly around the service and noise levels.