“Lovely lunch”

Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Whitchurch. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Cardiff’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

A very good ]variety of food on offer not only carvery .Well worth a visit My Partner had the Fish while I had the turkey and beef.I would visit again .

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Whitchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Brilliant news Veronica!! We would be more than happy to welcome you here again!
I will make sure the team see's your comments as its comments like this is that was drives our team to success !

Best Regards

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Having visited the Toby Carvery in Bridgend for breakfast with one daughter and her family a few weeks ago we thought it would be a nice Easter treat to book for us to go out again and take the other daughter ands her children as well. We planned and booked the Toby in Whitchurch as we were travelling from Bristol onto North Wales. On arriving at 9.30 ready for our booking at 10am we were surprised to see that the car park wasn’t busy and thought this would be a good sign. It was lovely to see the renovation and the restaurant looked really welcoming. We explained we were still waiting for the rest of the family (9 of us in total) and told it wasn’t a problem just to go the the bar and pay when we were all there. The rest of the family arrived shortly after and we were told to go and sit anywhere that was made up. We ordered drinks 3 hot drinks and cold drinks. We eventually found a table although we had to push a few together to have enough. Here is when the problems started - we found we were short of a hot drink - no problem back up to the bar. I took one of our granddaughters (4 in total ranging from 8-2 in age) no plates waited a good 5 minutes before anyone appeared and there was another couple waiting as well. We looked along the food and I was surprised to see how little there was there. Eventually a staff member arrived and asked if we were waiting for anything - plates! No apology he went to get the plates. Helped ourselves to the food none of which looked great but never mind bacon, sausage, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, tomato, beans no mushrooms or breakfast Yorkshire pudding as advertised and labelled. I sorted our food out and went back to the table then back up to get toast - there must have been something not right with the machine as the toast kept getting stuck at the back, I asked my husband to get me mushrooms and went to get my coffee - no milk, I had to find a member of staff to fill the milk again no apology. By this point I had had enough and went to the bar to complain a good 15 minutes if not more must of passed since I first went to the counter to get my breakfast and hadn’t started eating yet, other people were complaining about the lack of good but the staff member seemed disinterested and said we’re bringing it out as fast as we can, one woman told him she had been waiting 20 minutes with no sign of the chef bringing out more food. It wasn’t as though they were busy. My son-in-law went to get another plate of food which I could of done but I just couldn’t be bothered with the wait again. Also the hot drinks were lukewarm at best. I am afraid to say that we will not be visiting this Toby Again you spoilt what was supposed to be a lovely Easter treat with family we don’t get to see very often.

2  Thank Ann G
General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Whitchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Ann G, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We regret that you had a negative experience, and will use this as an opportunity to improve. I will make sure the team see's your comments.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Good choice of meat and loads of veg available, good dessert menu too. Ok, it's not fine dining, but for a decent meal at ok prices thus is a good choice.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Whitchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Great news there witneytraveller , I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience here . I will make sure the team see's your feedback.

See you soon !

Best Regards

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Was staying at Travelodge which is lovely. went for early evening meal got seated straight away, 20 minutes later lady comes back and says you can go up, we didn't want carvery we wanted to order off menu, ordered 2 pork wraps and turkey roll, we are told 20 minute wait for food, when it arrives my friends start eating it and are confused pork wraps are both mixed meat not a sign of pork in them.,No staff about to ask so they did eat wraps decide to go up and pay didn't want to wait any more, nice guy at till says so its 2 pork wraps and a turkey? I said no we didn't get pork the lady that served us is across the restaurant and shouts they had no pork you got those instead.. I would of thought its polite to ask if it is ok to change someone's order never mind that some people cant eat certain meats or may have allergy's .. we avoided breakfast which we normally have here.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, my apologies that it was not a brillaint visit. I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you so i can fully investigate what happened here that evening. If you would to discuss please contact me 02920 692554.

Kind Regards

Abbie

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Having been a regular visitor to whitchurch over the last few years we have used this tobycarvary quite a bit, having visited the weekend of 17-18th march we were very pleasantly surprised with the resent refurbishment, the décor is much improved and the seating is more comfortable. The food is as always to a very good quality and the service seemed to be better making the evening carvery meal a very pleasant stay.. the only down side was the following morning when looking forward to the famous breakfast we were told due to the weather it was closed, made for a hungry drive back to Devon! Otherwise much improved.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Whitchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi Billinbarum,

Thank you for your brilliant review, i am so pleased you like our refurbishment as much as we do. My apologies for your hungry journey back unfortunately we were unable to get any team in on that morning with the snow to be able to open. I do hope that you return to see us again very soon.

Kind Regards