The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Cae Mabon(Llanberis)
Lake View(Llanberis)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Tyn Rhos Country House(Llanddeiniolen)
View Hotel
Pen Y Gwryd Hotel(Nant Gwynant)
  • Pool
1,712 results
All reviewscoach housebar mealsall inclusive dealcoach partycontinental breakfastlarge hotelthird floorevening mealhotel is situatedmain buildingmountain railwayllanberis pathshort breakboth nightselectric mountainexcellent value for moneyfantastic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

enjoyed a short break at the Royal Victoria hotel in February I do think the heating in the hotel itself needs looking at was not very warm in any of the reception rooms. Ate in the restaurant on the 1st night but they seated everyone in the very drafty conservatory service was very slow and the menu was limited , the food on the bar menu was much nicer. The actual room was lovely and the deal we had was good value for money.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank lynn g
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed two nights and the hotel is in the perfect location for Snowdon walks and is set on beautiful grounds which include an old castle. The room we stayed in (210) could definitely do with a revamp, bodged walls with patching painting, lack of plug sockets, far too hot even with the windows open and marks on the carpets. Beds had two single duvets zipped together and the sheets kept coming off. The bar was lovely but it was quite loud and could hear people in the corridor as well. It’s a great place with potential but just needs a bit of tlc.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We found a good deal at about £230.00 for three nights B&B for two adults, which we considered very good value. We've been to this hotel on several occasions, but haven't stayed there for years. On this occasion we were attending a party on Saturday evening, but decided to have a 3 night break, and visit some local tourist spots as well.
Unfortunately the weather was pretty bad, but as it was equally bad throughout the country we didn't mind too much. Our room was nice an warm, and it was also nice to gaze out of the window at the bitterly cold landscape outside. We did manage to go out, and visited the nearby Slate Museum, Dinorwic Power Station, and walked in the Llanberis Pass, and along the shore of nearby Padarn Lake.
The hotel provided the buffet meal for our party, a mountaineering club, which was excellent value at only £15.00 per head. We also ate in the bar, typical pub prices, and the breakfasts were very good - serve yourself and eat as much as you like, which was a good idea before going out to brave the snow and wind.
Our room was on the 3rd floor, which was a bit inconvenient as we had to use two separate lifts to reach it, one lift from ground floor to 2nd, then a corridor walk to the next lift from 2nd to 3rd floor. On our first night we were disturbed at around 1.00 am by a noisy couple arguing in the corridor. Obviously they'd been drinking, and had apparently lost their wallets and a mobile phone. They were blaming each other, and knocking on other guests' doors. We ignored them, and eventually they stopped and went away. Fortunately our next two nights were quiet and peaceful. On Saturday night the hotel was completely full with several large parties of walkers, cyclists, climbers, including ourselves, and everyone was well behaved, so I'm sure the noisy couple on Friday night were an exception to the rule.
There's a small comfortable free coffee lounge near reception, and a pool table too. The bar was very good, and they had a number of local beers on special offer, which we sampled. Car-parking was more than adequate, and we didn't have a problem, even on the busy Saturday. The hotel has a main building, which we were in, and also a 'coach house' annexe, which presumably is cheaper? The staff were always polite, and cheerful, and we'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: try to get a 2nd floor room, close to reception.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aramis
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for only one night, so my review has to be based only on a short stay.
I got a single room with breakfast for £99. The room, no. 231 should be avoided. It was very hot, even with the heating turned completely off. I opened the window to get some air into the room but found that I was very close to an extractor from the kitchen which meant there was a constant whirring sound and extremely strong smell of cooking. I thought I would put up with this as I was only staying for the night.
I needed a good sleep after a long day walking and had a 7 hour drive early the next morning.
At around 11:30 pm, groups of people started walking outside my room chatting extremely loudly. This went on continuously until well after 3:30 in the morning. Some idiot had lost his wallet and a group of noisy stupid women kept walking along the corridor calling out to each other and generally keeping me awake all night. This ignorant behaviour should have been controlled by the staff but nothing was done. I tried getting through to reception but my calls were not answered.
As a result, I couldn’t get to sleep and my drive home was incredibly difficult after a sleepless night.
I checked the details of the hotel with the booking company and found a warning about the hotel being noisy at weekends.
If there are noise problems with the guests, then they should not under any circumstances put them in areas where decent and thoughtful people are trying to sleep. There is no point at all in staying in a hotel where you are not going to be able to sleep.
The staff I met were very pleasant and the lady at reception was aware of the problem that night and apologetic.
If there was a way to get a refund, like when you purchase faulty goods, then I would get one.
This hotel should be avoided by anyone who wants a quiet night sleep.
To sum it up; tiny room, hot and smelly, noisy sleepless night for £99. I would rather have slept in my car. I really would rather have slept in my car.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
3  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights bed and breakfast.

The main reason for the poor rating is the bed, the mattress we where supplied with was not fit for purpose! Your feet sat higher than your head as the springs in the mattress where absolutely knackered. The springs popped and cracked as you laid down, it belongs in a skip. This unfortunately lead to 2 dodgy nights sleep for both of us.

One the first night , a Friday , we where woken at about midnight by people walking along the corridor shouting and swearing , obviously arguing , this continued for an hour until we rang through to reception , despite this the thumping of feet up and down the hallway along with the noisy lift kept going until about 4am with the same people, when we mentioned the issue to reception the next day they just yes we know and they have gone. No sorry.

The room we where supplied with (214) was right opposite the noisy lift meaning that you did get a lot of noise in the room , the main contributing factor is the fact the the doors and walls are quite thin meaning you hear everything in the corridor.

The room itself was very small, only just big enough for the double bed. No wardrobe in the room just a hanging rail on the wall and bedside draws.

The bathroom was a standard bathroom which while small functioned as required.

The shower is not the best in the world, it’s just a standard gravity fed shower which after a day up snowdon can be a little disappointing but only a small gripe.

The breakfast was fantastic and very tasty with plenty of selection.

I would not stay again.