All reviews lime tree cream tea executive room town centre good size cleaning staff afternoon tea the air conditioning comfortable hotel car park steak short break booked this hotel great weekend waiting staff hotel restaurant buffet style
Reviewed 11 August 2018

We stayed here for one night while we were sightseeing around Salisbury, so we just needed somewhere to sleep before moving on to our next destination the following day. As a hotel, this place looked nice when we arrived, with a nice looking restaurant and bar areas, and welcoming staff. There was also a spa on offer (at extra cost) which we didn't have time to use. I'm guessing it is nice enough though. Our room looked fairly recently modernised but somehow a little dim at the same time. And the view from the window was non-existent - we looked directly at a wall 2-3 feet from our window. Not great, but tolerable for our purpose of a quick stopover.
We particularly looked forward to the fact that there was air con since we were in the middle of the 2018 summer heatwave. Unfortunately, the air con mysteriously went off in the middle of the night and the room got quite sticky. I tried to fix it but, frustratingly, there were 4 thermostat controls in the room and none of them reactivated the air con. It was the small hours of the morning so we decided to just try to sleep through it.
We were then woken at 6:30am by the phone ringing repeatedly in the next room, followed by lots of knocking on their door by someone who obviously wanted to get them up (turns out they were just in the shower already and hadn't heard the phone, so that was pointless). The walls must be quite thin for us to hear all their conversation as clearly as we did.
Shortly after that, the elephants upstairs decided to get up and pace about their room for the next hour. Their stomping and the loud squeaky floorboards above us ensured we got no more sleep. So, we felt tired all of the next day.
In summary, what should have been a restful night in a fairly nice, air conditioned hotel turned out to a sleep-deprived endurance event in a noisy sweatbox.
We mentioned this to the manager the next morning and he did what he could to make us happy again (thanks for that effort) but it was never going to get us back the sleep we'd lost that night.
If you do ever go here, I strongly recommend you ask for a room on the top floor so that there is nobody above you to keep you awake with the extremely squeaky old floorboards. And at the end of the corridor, so that you have fewest neighbours in adjoining rooms.
I'm sure our experience isn't totally representative of the experience this hotel can deliver on a good day, but I certainly won't be going back after this very disappointing visit with inadequate air con and loud noisy guests in the rooms all around us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to avoid problems with other guest walking on the very squeaky floorboards above you
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank BenJo101
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We first visited this hotel on our wedding night twenty five years ago! That time we stayed in the main building but this time our room was in the more 'modern' extension. To get to the room we had to walk through a maze of corridors, stairs and heavy fire doors. The whole overall impression was that we were visiting an old peoples home and not what is supposed to be a luxury hotel. Awful stale smell. The executive room was OK and we appreciated the air conditioning although it was rather noisy. The car park is far too small. The breakfast was good and the food hot. This was only spoilt by the members of staff who seemed to not mind complaining about other staff members and the management in front of guests - unbelievable! We were really looking forward to revisiting this hotel in our silver wedding anniversary year but we were sadly disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deacon D
Reviewed 29 July 2018

Stayed for five nights with daughter and have to say that we were rather disappointed considering the price of the hotel. Most of the staff were very friendly and helpful, however we were met with grumpy breakfast staff on our last day. The food is very good during the week, but on our last morning there is no self service at breakfast and you have to order - this we found out on the day if there are less than 50 guests staying, but were not told this before- this took 25 minutes to arrive for a mushroom omelette. The quality was below par and most guests thought this, judging by the amount of food that was left on their plates.
Rooms were very hot, and did not have air conditioning, although you were supplied with a noisy fan. The room was very dark, and very dated, and needed to be updated especially the layout of the furniture. In the bathroom, I would suggest having more hanging areas for handtowels, however my main concern would be the bath, which I found very slippery. Although there were non slip stickers in the bath, these did not work and as the bath is so high a grip handle would be a good idea. As I have had a knee operation I am very aware of this need.
Another gripe is the spa, we thought this would be included in the booking, however this is extra even for hotel guests,. Considering the cost of the hotel this should be inclusive! Did not see anything about extra cost on the site.
These are a few suggestions, however found the hotel clean and comfortable, but considering the choice of hotels and guest houses, would not stay here again.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank otter222
Reviewed 21 July 2018

We were 2 couples who stayed here when seeing Danny Baker at the City Hall.
The staff were friendly. Rooms were good, quite old fashioned but clean and fortunately in the heat our room had an electric fan.
We ate in the hotel restaurant, Milano, we all had pasta which was good. Breakfast was varied and very good.
We did not use the spa so I cannot comment on that.

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night last week and thought the hotel was ok. I felt there was limited parking and in the morning it was really busy. Room was clean, tidy and reasonably comfortable, except there was no air con. I did get a fan that works on a timer that helped with the heat. Bathroom is big and shower was great. Breakfast was average but I felt the room was cramped and getting to the buffet breakfast was difficult. I’m not 100% sure I would return for a personal holiday stay

Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business