“Good pub food in the heart of Leeds”
Review of The White Swan

The White Swan
Ranked #224 of 1,972 Restaurants in Leeds
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Booked a table based on Trip Advisor Reviews for the restaurants. Easter Tuesday, pre-theater. Rang on Saturday and asked if I should book and how much time I should leave. Woman answering was very helpful - suggested a booking was sensible, just in case.

Pub is tucked out of the way next to the Varieties Theater and so has a theatrical theme. Smart, bright decor. Being early evening on a Tuesday it was quiet but gently humming. Piper music playing but not over powering.

Good table, staff were appropriately attentive all through the meal.

Menu was pub classics, with a lot of meals utlising local brews. We had the fish and chips (well made, good batter) with twice fried chips (a bit of a thing) 8oz steak with pepper sauces, which was well cooked and presented and a tasty steak burger with sweet potato fries - very good. Puds were limited - the ice cream brownie sundae was simple but can't fault it for that. Drinks - had the IPA, which was refreshing.

Very pleased overall, service good, food good. Not rushed but out in good time for the theater

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Nice to find a city pub where Barman has time to explain beers, and very good beer it was.
Would describe the food we had as honest pub grub at a sensible price

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I came in with my daughter on Saturday for food a drinks. Regrettably we did not book and the in was extremely busy, but worry not as the loveliest barmaid I have ever met went out of her way to find us a table and gave us outstanding service from start to finish.

I would like to thank Nikki and all of the team for beautiful food, a great choice of drinks and fabulous atmosphere!

Wonderful visit... We will be back to this hidden gem.

1  Thank PamelaH1955
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited Leeds for a gig one Saturday and was mooching around the city centre. We wanted something decent and definitely not a chain if we could help it. This place is down a quirky little side street and is full of charm and is very cosy inside. I chose the steak and Midnight Bell ale pie with mash and veg and my boyfriend had the gammon with triple cooked chips, poached eggs and pea shoot salad. I have the say the pie was outstanding, home-cooked goodness and the vegetables were beautifully roasted, I thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful. My boyfriend's dish looked like a sea of greenery, however, he loved it and the chips were the typical dark brown looking affair that is popular these days - I still have no idea why chips are double or triple cooked but who cares when they taste great! Washed down with some great beer, they had a good selection, it was the perfect pre-gig dinner.

WhiteSwanLeeds, Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Spaceg1rl. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a terrific review. The steak and ale pie is one of our best selling dishes and always hits the spot, we always love to hear how much people have enjoyed their food when visiting us and we look forward to welcoming again in the future. Thanks again, Ben

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Popped in before going to city varieties. Great selection of beers, the Midnight Bell was a lovely pint. Ordered the Yorkshire dales gammon which came with very chunky chips, two eggs and a little bit of salad leaves. The gammon although not large was thick, tasty and well cooked, 9 out of 10 for a lovely meal. Will call again next time I'm going to a show.

WhiteSwanLeeds, General Manager at The White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi there. Thank you for the great review, we are really glad you enjoyed your meal and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Many thanks, Ben