“Rip off entrance fee!”
Review of Kitty Cafe Leeds

Kitty Cafe Leeds
Ranked #1,483 of 2,243 Restaurants in Leeds
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We went to the cafe yesterday (3rd April) with my 13yr old sister, mum and heavily pregnant sister.

When we arrived we were told there was an entrance fee in the sum of £6 per adult and £4 per child.

No where did it state that there was an entrance fee nor did the person who booked our table advise us which straight away got my back up, I wouldn't mind paying £2 entrance fee if it was absolutely necessary but you don't go to what is a standard cafe and expect to pay a fee to enter then pay for you coffee and cake!

There were to many children pestering the cats, this is not specifically the cafe owners fault but it meant because there were so many children very few cats wanted to come out, as a cat owner I know full well that cats keeps out of the way of children as they get fed up.

The food and drink was good but don't you think if you're paying an entrance fee you should get a free drink?

We had to ask twice to be seated as they hadn't cleared the table and my sister was heavily pregnant and struggling.

We would go back again but not when children are off school and I still feel strongly that the fee is excessive.

The cats all appeared happy and healthy, they do appear to have chosen cats suited to a very social environment which is good.

I would go again and would have given them a 5 star review if there wasn't a ridiculous fee to enter topped off by not even being informed about it until we spoke with the receptionist.

3  Thank Hazel B

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Had this booked online for quite a while (2months!) but they're always busy so well worth booking online when you can go, it's really easy so didn't mind

Knew about the sur-charge and again, like another reviewer, we didn't mind as it goes towards the kitties so....

Lots of varieties of different teas, coffees, sandwiches etc - the tea was gorgeous, honey bush which was different - it was great to watch the cats, I enjoyed learning about all their names & characters, as another reviewer has said, the staff are all very approachable & friendly, knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions......yes it seemed to be full of children with it being Easter weekend but the cats didn't seem to be disturbed by them at all really, in fact I was surprised at how relaxed and calm they all were, seemed very happy to be in their surroundings which was good to see, the girls obviously look after them very well.....

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Having been to two other cat cafes in neighbouring cities, I was really disappointed by this one. Unlike others there’s no minimum age so kids were running round like a daycare centre, pulling and scaring cats. I was informed by the staff that the age limits were removed so that the owner could bring their own kids in the cafe!

The staff were more busy serving drinks and food to all the customers than supervising so most of the cats were either in the safe room or hiding behind sofas to avoid heckling. It felt like chairs were crammed into the cafe to maximise the number of people and turnover, forgetting this impacts the welfare of the cats and customer experience. Even the cat toys were broken. I felt stressed, let alone the cats!

Secondly, it was poor just as a cafe. Both hot chocolates were tepid and very weak (maybe too focused on getting them out quick?) and we had to wait 15 min for them. It was odd being in a cafe that served pizza when they couldn’t even get the drinks right. It felt more like a fast food restaurant with all the staff wearing headsets.

Overall I left feeling disappointed and sorry for the cats.

4  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Booked for 4 of us to have a family lunch. The venue is lovely and the food was typical cafe-type food ( panini, sandwiches, Jacket potatoes) they do a meal deal for £9:95 - main, drink and cake.

The cats appear happy and very playful. Some people let their kids race around after the kittens but the cats have escape routes, if they want a break.

Despite the bad reviews I found the staff to be nice, the food good and the cats happy.

Yeah you have to pay £5 pp to enter but its for the cats. I have visited homeless cats in rehoming centres and the cats here are so much happier than the poor things in cages / pens.

We all enjoyed it, I would improve visits by extending each visit to 90 mins if eating food as 60 mins is a bit rushed.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We had been so excited about our visit to the Kitty cafe in Leeds and we were not disappointed!
We had booked online and on arrival were met by friendly staff. We paid £6 each entrance which we were happy to pay as it all goes to the kitties. People who are whinging about paying £6 are clearly missing the point and would perhaps be better suited to visiting Starbucks.
We were shown to our seats and immediately met Fudge, a tabby and white kitten. The staff were on hand to answer any questions and were very friendly and knowlegable. Really enjoyed the food. We had a panini and a sandwich and it was spot on...although we weren't there for the food it was yummy!
We were told in total they had 21 cats in the cafe. All looking very healthy and all very relaxed in the environment. You are free to roam around the cafe and there are toys dotted around. We interacted with quite a few but were also happy to sit and observe.
Would highly recommend to cat lovers. The only criticism i would have is that your hour goes very fast so even an hour and 15 would be great just to give you that extra few minutes.