“Great Idea, Great Place, Great Food!”
Review of The canteen

The canteen
Ranked #136 of 784 Restaurants in Bradford
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Description: The canteen is a bright and modern cafe serving a selection of tasty breakfasts and lunches. Situated next door to our new Cookery School, The canteen is a 'profit for purpose' enterprise selling delicious homemade foods whilst training our next generation of Hoteliers, Chefs and Waitresses & Waiters. Buy from us and contribute to your local community!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Had to go to Bradford early one weekday morning. Missed out on breakfast so decided to eat out in Bradford. Came across this lovely little cafe just outside Bradford Forster St Train Station on Cheapside. After reading the menu was impressed enough to try out their "Fry Down". This was a healthy take on the "Fry Up" Poached egg, grilled bacon and sausage, beans and fresh tomatoes with granary toast/bread (exactly how I make it at home) with a lovely cup of coffee. It was excellent! The sausages were really meaty and tasty, the bacon lovely and crisp. The bread was fresh and tasted delightful. The menu has a variety of light breakfast choices along with a lunch menu and offers smoothies that looked fresh and appetising.
The decor was clean, modern and bright; with a relaxed atmosphere. Makes you feel like just calling in for a coffee and piece of cake with a friend for a chat.

The idea behind this enterprise is to train teenagers, who would like to get into catering, be a chef, a waiter, etc or a job in the service industry, to a level where they can be gainfully employed. Even more of a reason to check this place out if you ever find yourself in Bradford.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Had a nice lunch here. Liked the retro simple decor. Menu simple but good enough. I had a bowl of home made soup and a home made roll which was very nice. Prices good. Staff helpful. A quiet and restful place to sit in busy Bradford.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

My colleagues and I popped in for lunch, and ordered three seperate items from the menu.
There was a tasty sausage sandwich, a lovely steaming bowl of soup and and a roll
finally, a tasty egg and cress sandwich whih came with a side salad and crisps in a bowl.
All the food was brought to the table, presentation is good and the staff friendly.
My colleagues commented on the presentation, and tasty food as did I.

1  Thank cognacking
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I was delighted to discover The Canteen near the bottom of Cheapside yesterday on my way to Bradford Donor Centre. The cafe is a social enterprise, training hospitality staff for the future, and is situated in a relaxing, bright room with bench seats and rustic chairs with scatter cushions. Opening at 7.30am it was perfect timing for a good breakfast before my appointment shorlty after. I was greeted with a warm welcome by Joe and the other Jo, a lovely, smiley lady who brought my 'Fry Down' breakfast. I chose the veggie option but meat eaters are well catered for here along with those who prefer lighter fruit and yoghurt choices. There looked to be a good selection of lunch sandwiches, salads, baked potatoes with range of fillings (must try the lentil and cauliflour dahl sometime) specials and cakes and lighter bites. Take-out is available but I can't wait to return to sit in and sample other things, as this is now my new favourite place in Bradford. I noted that Aspire enterprises also has the 'event space' for events, meetings and celebrations with catering available. A great find!

1  Thank Christine671
Reviewed 15 January 2018

I work just up the road from The Canteen and I've started to bob in for some breakfast on my way in. The staff are always really nice and chatty, and the bacon sandwiches are spot on for a Friday morning! Plus, the meal deals they do are good value. Will definitely come in for lunch soon!