“Great selection beers. ”
Review of The Botanist

The Botanist
Ranked #235 of 2,483 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Barbecue, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped here to have a few drinks after the rigours of shopping in the Bullring. Excellent selection of beers (not so much the wines.) food looked great if a little pretentious. Maybe a little overpriced as well. Come to think of it some of the beers were pricey for 330ml can and one was served warm. Not how I like my German Helles.

The Botanist B, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi Flanker77,

Thank you for taking to write your review,

Always a pleasure to hear you appreciate our fine selection of Ales,

Sorry to hear your German Helles wasn't the coolest, I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to the rest of the team so we can make future improvements.

Please, feel free to shoot over an email to birminghamsales@thebotanist.uk.com if you would like to discuss your recent visit with me in further details

All the best,

Nella

Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Very disappointing visit for food as the mains for vegetarians are the size of a starter but cost nearly £10 - and were decidedly average taste wise too. I had the aubergine ‘steak’ - one slice of about a third of one whole aubergine, very little flavour to it - and undercooked so had to send it back - on a bed of bland cous cous. My friend had finished her meal by the time it was returned to me. She had the hanging halloumi kebab. Ok but again, very small for a main. I’m putting chips in the oven as I write this as I’m absolutely starving!
Nice place for a drink and friendly service but sorry, never eating there again.

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was not up to our usual standard,

The Aubergine Steak is a new addition to our menu and to date we have had excellent reviews so would love it if you could send me over an email to birminghamsales@thebotanist.uk.com so I can look into this further and pass your feedback on to the rest of the team,

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

All the best,

Nella

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We visited recently to dine on a Saturday night, a group of 8 and that was probably our mistake because this clearly is a very popular watering hole for the weekend crowd and it was certainly crowded

Both the food and the service was fine, the waiting staff were helpful and friendly despite being extremely busy.

Again because it was so busy and they have an open kitchen it was hot and extremely loud, so any form of conversation was limited without shouting

I guess the upside for the venue is that it is busy, popular and clearly doing well and thats good, however you need to consider when you visit if you are looking for something a little less frantic.

So I wish there was a score somewhere between average and good because as I said it wasn't all bad, perhaps I made the wrong choice for a Saturday evening but no hard feelings.

Hi David B,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

It's great to hear you've still left us with positive feedback despite how busy it was!

Hopefully, you'll give us another chance and visit us during a quieter period

Kind regards,

The Botanist

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We arrived for lunch and the staff were polite, helpful and prompt.
The building was interesting.
The menu was varied but just pub grub. I think it would have helped if more people were there. There seemed to be no atmosphere. In and out very quickly....

The Botanist B, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi Milly H,
Thanks for your positive comments in regards to our staff and our decor here at the Botanist. We are sorry that your experience was not up to our usual standards, but we do hope you return soon.
Kind regards,
Asia

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I went with my boyfriend for lunch and was pleasantly surprised at how nicely decorated The Botanist was and how nice the service was. I had the pork schnitzel; a little overdone but still tasted great with the Mac and cheese and the sun-dried tomato salad that was served with it. Our waitress was Sarah and she was attentive and friendly. I would definitely come back to The Botanist. It is quite pricey, especially for cocktails and my boyfriend was slightly disappointed that he couldn't find any ales that were on draught. However, all in all we both had a really nice lunch.

Hi Skilet99,
We are glad you enjoyed your dining experience. We hope to see you soon again!
Best wishes,