“staff ok, rink quality terrible”
Review of The Leisure Box - CLOSED

The Leisure Box
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I came here to give this place a low rating; after reading the other reviews of this place my experience felt like a ray of sunshine in comparison.

Positives: The staff at the front desk were friendly with us - as were the staff on the rink. Every time I fell over someone would come and check if I was ok. I also had an ice card which was buy one get one free on NYD so ended up spending £9 on skating for two people which I am now finding out is a bargain.

Negatives: The place was extremely dingy, the stairs smelt like p*** and it was generally quite badly kept. We went on new year's day so the hours were shorter but they didn't re-do the ice even once. There was a leak in the ceiling and together with the not-so-fresh ice they had a lot of puddles and melted ice which was a nightmare for the new skaters. I've been once before to solihull ice rink and it was so much better and cleaner. The ice skates too - they were broken but we got the feeling if we took them back to ask for different ones those would be broken too. My feet were killing me by the end of the day from a piece of plastic that was digging into my foot from the broken skate.

However, the staff were much more polite than the people in the other reviews experienced - I think if they weren't I would have been so much more disappointed in this day. Overall I think I got what I paid for - half the price of Solihull (£9-11) = half the quality?

2  Thank samirhym

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I used to take my 11 year old quite often here and she enjoyed it, she liked the penguins to help her in the beginning to learn to balance and now can skate easily without them. Last time we went part of the ice rink was closed off in need of maintenance which meant there was not as much space as there used to be to skate as when i went when i was younger. Its not that cheap, but then if you consider you can, if you wanted to, stay from when it opens until closing time for £9 per person it doesn't sound as expensive

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This place is an absolute disaster. Upon arrival, the security men act like bully boys when in actual fact all they do is flirt with the little under age girls that must go every week. The women on reception both front and down by the bowling desk need retraining on how to talk to customers who are paying their wages! Upstairs in skating the stewards again, flirt with the young girls when they should be doing their job! The place needs to be put under new management. Never again will I go here, it's disgusting how they get away with their rudeness. The cafe sell out of date food also but that's a minor problem compared to how you're treated when you get there. If you're going for bowling, make the extra mile through china town and straight at the round about to bowlplex in Broadway plaza. I just really cannot express my disappointment in this leisure centre. People go to have fun and relax not to be treated like rubbish.

4  Thank Jessyjessjess
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Place is very run down. Ice rink was ok but the skating boots were extremely uncomfortable. Staff don't seem too bothered or overly helpful. Major refurbishment required. Bowling lane surfaces need replacing not completely flat you can bowl with no spin and ball still swerves. You can't add your names on the console its locked off only reception staff can do it. Wouldn't go again only went cos it was a fiver. Better off going Solihull rink.

1  Thank nxa219
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Yes this place is in dire need of a refit, it smells a bit fusty& the entrance is scary but all in all I did not have high expectations after reading the reviews. However my daughter and I had a real laugh we bowled and the staff set everything up and were really helpful and polite then we skated for over an hour. The rink is dingy but functional there were stewards skating to help fallers and for a Saturday afternoon it was all mixed ability absolute beginners to those who were faster and more confident. We enjoyed the session and the rink really needs resurfacing but for us it was what you make it fun