“shaki”

The Stand Comedy Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Purpose built comedy club open 7 days a week in the heart of Newcastle. We host regular touring comedy from the biggest names on the comedy circuit. On Wednesday nights we host our famous Red Raw (beginners night) developing the stars of the future and our Weekend Shows(Thurs - Sat)feature 5 acts over 2 hours. If comedy and a good bottle of wine is for you then look no further. Locally sourced home cooked food is available in the venue as well as our Bistro which is open daily from 11am serving lunchtime and evening menus. Please not we do not take bookings from Stag and Hen Parties.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

fantastic night out. Went with son & grandson and all thoroughly enjoyed it. Great atmosphere compact club that caters for all.

All reviews
"stage"
in 26 reviews
"hecklers"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We bought tickets online in advance as we expected tickets to be sold out on the door pretty quickly which they were.We arrived later than anticipated at 7.40pm (Doors open at 7pm and acts start at 8.30pm) and the people in front of us were starting to be turned away.We thought it was only going to be standing room only left which we didn't fancy and explained to staff we would give our tickets to a lady if front of us who was refused entry due to tickets being sold out .

We then went upstairs for a drink only for a male staff member (don't know his name) to approach us and said that there were some seats still available downstairs if we still wanted to see the gig which we did.We were very impressed with this excellent customer service.

The show had about ten comedy acts on,our favourite was Matt Reeds.The compere was brilliant and completely roasted a heckler sat near us by re drawing the prize draw after his female friend had won (keep your mouth shut pal lol) The majority of the comedians were excellent.

Annoying bits were to do with other people watching the acts which included two females sat near us firstly chatting when the acts were on,then one of them checking her phone which had must have had a search beam setting on it was so bright.Then another couple who for some reason having a conversation for minutes on end whilst other people behind trying to watch the acts.(Go outside if you want to chat)

The drinks were reasonably priced.The staff were excellent.Definitely worth a visit and we will be going again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

To be honest when I heard that we were going to a comedy club for a works night out and that we had to be there for 7:00pm in order to get in I thought WTF! Having done it I now get it!

We when on the Red Raw Night (Wednesday) and it was packed.

There were three sections with about three acts in section one, three acts in section two then a headliner. (With about a twenty minute interval between sections)

With it being raw talent night you get a mixed bag but give them some slack as they are still learning their craft. That said the majority of the acts on the night that we were there were great!

Zoe was really funny!!

Will go back.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A group of us went here on a Sunday night recently. The tickets were good value at £14.00 and as there were only about 50 people in it was far easier to get a drink and we did not roast in the usual heat. Rob Rouse is excellent!
I have bought tickets for the Wednesday show Red Raw next week at even better value £3.00 I'll update this after I've been.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 2, 2018 via mobile

Went to the club and for a first time in a comedy club all was going well and enjoyable

UNTIL

all I have to say the staff have no sense of humour. The bar maid was pouring a pint when it went off and filled 2/3 of the glass with froth. I made a comment “ oh you give big head” 1 1/2 hours later I have the general manger pull me to one side asking me to leave as the staff member felt uncomfortable with what I said!!!!!!

Comedy?
Joke?

Well until then I had planned to join and go back regularly but if the staff are like that no way.

Oh and wait a minute I then had to explain to my date that we had to leave.

Well I’m sorry but NOT FUNNY!!!

1  Thank Stephen A
StandBoxOffice, Marketing Manager at The Stand Comedy Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2018

Hi Stephen,

As we have already had this conversation on social media here is what you said and our response (minus the contact details as Tripadvisor does not allow email address details in comments) I think people will read this review and the response and make the correct judgement. Oh so you were not an actual member we have now lost? Conflicting information here.

So here for everyone to read is what was said elsewhere......

You...

Well what can I say comedians really good staff absolutely shocking. I was asked to leave the club because when the barmaid was pouring a pint it went off, and 2/3 was head I said well you give bad head!!

Well I’m sorry if the role was reversed and I was a customer and the person on the stage said that could I the ask for them to be removed.

Have some common sense I was made to be a fool in front of my date.

Well you have now lost a member.

Us...

Do you think that was an acceptable comment? It’s 2018 not the 70’s and I’m sure people will read this review and know who is at fault. Do you realise how many comments of an unwanted sexual nature are made to staff by people thinking they are funny. I’m sorry but you made yourself look foolish. You can put a formal complaint into ******************* but please note we don’t really have anytime for actions like this. We listen to people with genuine useful comments. Thanks, the Stand

You...

I am guessing that this is the general manager who I spoke to in the club. I admit that I said the comment but I also apologised to the staff member when her reaction was made clear. In an environment where jokes are made you must realise that some comments go down bad. To ask someone to leave when they have said something off the cuff just like anyone which was on your stage tonight did and was applauded for is a bit of double standard and I am not saying that what I said wasn’t my a bit unacceptable but as I also said in my review if an act had said that to me would I have had the option to complain and have them removed from the club?

As you can confirm I did not make a scene in the club and if i was someone who believed In facist things like that I would have made a big scene. All I want to point out is that I understand that the member of staff may have been offended but to wait over 1 hour before acting on this and actually wait until further drinks were purchased from the same bar staff seems a bit incorrect. We are all adults and if your member of staff had been working in a bar else where within town she would have had a lot worse comments and not received any apologies.

Us...

Actually I'm the Marketing Manager for all 3 Stand venues and not the shift manager you spoke with last night. Any comments or actions shown towards our staff are taken seriously as we have a duty of care to make sure people work in a safe and nonthreatening environment. Would you have made the same comment to a male member of our bar staff? Our bar staff are there to serve drinks, food and make sure that our visitors are made to feel welcome, safe and enjoy their evening. We expect people to treat them with respect at all times. To try and say that we have double standards as acts can say what they want is simply ridiculous. You came to a comedy club and there will be interaction which at times can be close to the bone. That's half of the joy for people coming to see Stand-Up comedy and that's what people expect. If someone ever takes offence at something that is said on stage you can leave and if there are grounds - get a refund. Our staff member could not leave - she had a shift to work. We are all adults - its a licensed premises but we expect people to behave with respect. Your comments did make our staff member uncomfortable and once she had spoken to the duty manager the decision was made to ask you to leave as she felt uncomfortable working. You did initially leave without incident but then felt the need to exclaim that you would be leaving bad reviews on TripAdvisor etc on the way out. To say that our staff member would have received worse treatment in other bars doesn't make what happened any better. And the poor behaviour of others shouldn't be used to excuse yours. It was a simple request to leave after a comment had made our staff feel uncomfortable at work. I think i have made our (The Stand Comedy Club) 's position very clear but you can email me directly if you wish to discuss this any further. My email is ********** Marketing Manager