“fresh cake, cake, glorious cake”
Review of Cafe Royal

Cafe Royal
Ranked #223 of 1,355 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

it looks like a big cafe placed conveniently at one of the exits to Grainger Market. the service is good, the food is terrific, you can even order wine by the glass, little overpriced. variety of slices of cake which were pretty darn good. service was ok today, and the food fresh, with reasonable serving of cake. the guy at the table next to me said that his 'soup of the day' which was tomato was very good. i liked the choices of coffee, which was a touch more extensive than some. i would go back, but just for coffee and cake or wine. if there was a category between mid range and fine dining, this place would be it.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been coming here for a while and noticed it’s got worse.

The food I ordered was not available despite ordering and paying at the till. I was told this 10 minutes after ordering. I changed my order to full English which is expensive for what you get. The quality was average at best. Quite disappointing.

Then I had the audacity to ask for some ketchup only to be told that it would cost 30p. I just laughed and said it’s not April 1st. The waiter was embarrassed and said it’s a new policy due to using much more expensive sauce. What a load of rubbish. What you get for your 30p is a small glass jar with a tiny amount of sauce. The charge also applies to mayonnaise and god knows what else. Next they will charge you for toilet roll so no big poos in cafe royal!

Overall this place has hit an all time low. I won’t be back.

2  Thank WillP26
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Two of us met for lunch here. A return visit to a familiar place. The atmosphere is busy and friendly and we secured a table easily enough. Prices are a little on the high side for what’s on offer but we enjoyed our little square quiches but could have done with more salad garnish. No pricing visible for the quiches at the counter so we had to ask. We didn’t have them, but the scones looked very good. Staff are friendly but a little too engaged in their own conversations to be giving more than OK customer service. Handy if you are in town but there are other places offering better value. There’s a certain amount of trading on their name.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I was here several months ago and enjoyed my lunch but on this return visit I was rather disappointed. Only the downstairs area for seating was open and most tables were full. I eventually found one and ordered but had to wait what seemed like a very long time for food to appear. There is not a large choice for vegetarians and I think dishes are on the whole on the expensive side for what you get. Close on ten pounds for a fairly small dish seems rather steep and vegans would struggle with choice here. In my opinion there are places nearby which are better value for money.

1  Thank profjoypc
Reviewed 26 March 2018

The staff were slack and got the orders wrong. Service was very poor and the food only very average. Such a shame as we had looked forward to lunch for my daughter's birthday but left feeling cheated both with the food and money. Given the high competition around this place really needs to take things seriously and up its game.