“Love this place but hit and miss with Vegan/Vegi ”

British Oak Ale House
Ranked #239 of 1,541 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been coming here for a while and I love the food and the variety of drinks on offer. The pub and garden is great and the staff are always lovely.

I had recently miso rice balls (v) which were amazing. Never had them before but would have again and again!

Then had the southern fried mocking bird (Vegan) unfortunately due to the texture and taste I could not stomach it. I mentioned this to the waitress and she was fantastic, I also mentioned other vegan options like Seitan and Jackfruit to mimick beef and chicken and when she returned she said that the chef thanked me for the tips.

I changed my meal without any issue and was not made to feel awkward. Just the way you should be treated and couldn’t be happier and felt more comfortable.

Will be back again soon no doubt

1  Thank bernie_yorkshire

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

Been a few times to British oak. prefer this one to the blue stoops (one of there other pubs) pies are always nice. Couple of negative need more chorizo in the pies when on menu. only found one pieces in mine. Sometimes the mushy peas could be warmer and less seasoning.

1  Thank Craig S
Reviewed March 8, 2018 via mobile

So, the British Oak has had its ups and downs over the years however since TrueNorth took over it really has found its niche!

As a frequent visitor to the Brit I love how they have unique ales and drinks and some unique stand alone cocktails. The gin selection is great too!

Tonight we had food, again, because it is so lovely! Unfortunately the starter was a disaster so I won’t dwell on that too much as it’s the first time in many years I’ve ever encounter a problem!!! However I went for the pie, as usual, personal favourite, and had the Chicken, Chorizo and Jalepeno pie! O M G it was incredible. I have had the majority of the pies but this one was lovely! Great chips and some incredibly tasting gravy! Always love the pies here and you can never go wrong with any of the food!

If you fancy a pie, defo go here, under a tenner and tasty as they come, they are brill e ant!!!! Amazing!!

Great service and reasonably priced. The Brit is the place to be whether you’re local or travelling through! Get yasen there!!

1  Thank Christopher W
Reviewed February 28, 2018

Have visited many times but in honesty it’s the pies we return for. They are lovely! Served with homemade chips, mushy peas and gravy. Fabulous service and tasty food with very reasonable prices.....perfect! Portions are huge so have never had space for a starter or pudding! Kids meals are also good value and homemade. Both my boys had chicken burgers with homemade chips which comes with coleslaw and a relish, again very generous portions. We ate on a Monday when it’s pie club £6.50 and had change from £35 for 4.

1  Thank Lyns E
Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

Our first visit yesterday, really enjoyed the delicious buffet, great quality and variety of food.The staff were very attentive.
Highly recommend