“Traditional (& Excellent) Fish & Chip Shop”
Review of Hexham Fish Bar

Hexham Fish Bar
Ranked #43 of 123 Restaurants in Hexham
Reviewed 7 July 2018

We had tried fish & chips is many places during our trip heading north from Derby and these were the finest.

Walking through the door we realised we were somewhere special as we viewed the well decorated & extremely clean seating area and looked towards the cooking area.

We had a fish & chip supper with mushy peas, Bread & butter, and hot tea; all as it should be. Very friendly staff and excellent food; we couldn't have asked for more.

Such fresh fish, cooked to perfection. Thank you.

They also do Gluten free Mondays on the first Monday of each month - what a cracking idea!

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 21 April 2018

After enjoying a lovely sunny, warm day, we thought it was too nice to go home and start cooking so after reading reviews on TA, we thought we would dine in here.

The restaurant prices were clearly displayed in the restaurant area.

I didn’t realise that we had to stand in the queue for takeout.

Price for regular haddock, chips, mushy peas or curried sauce or beans, bread and butter and a pot of tea was £7.95 - very reasonable.

However, my granddaughter doesn’t drink tea so we asked what drink could be substituted in place of the tea. We were told that they didn’t substitute!

We paid £1.00 for a bottled water.

We could see the menu prices quite clearly from where we were sitting and a pot of tea cost £1.20 and as previously stated, the bottled water was £1.00!!!

What could have been a pleasant cheap meal out was ruined by lack of consideration by not allowing my granddaughter a bottle of water.

What they did was take her meal of haddock, chips and mushy peas off the takeout menu, even though it was patently clear that my husband and I were eating in.

Can’t get my head around this one.

I didn’t like the mushy peas so they were divided between my husband and granddaughter. I didn’t feel like the slice of bread of butter, so my granddaughter had that.

I always judge a good fish restaurant on whether they skin the fish - this place doesn’t skin their fish.

Attitude of staff was not particularly pleasant.

Wouldn’t be in a rush to visit this establishment again in a hurry.

Sadly, Hexham has a shortage of fish and chip restaurants. However there are a couple of decent bars in the town selling fish and chips so if the mood took me again for a spur of the moment decision to eat out, I’ll try one of those instead.

I must add, the fish wasn’t up to scratch either considering Hexham is so close to where they land the fish at North Shields fish quay.

Do not recommend this place.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 8 April 2018

Having read some of the reviews which were mostly positive, we were looking forward to our fish and chip lunch at this restaurant. The place was clean and the staff were very helpful, but the fish and chip lunch was a disappointment. To be fair the chips and the mushy peas were excellent. However the fish was dry and the batter was tasteless and lacking any crispness. Usually freshly cooked battered cod is easy to eat and should fall apart, but we had difficulty in cutting this fish as it was so dry and didn’t taste fresh. The food is very reasonably priced, but we would rather have paid more for better quality fish. We won’t be returning.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank BandL60
Reviewed 5 April 2018

When me and my partner want chips in Hexham here is always our first choice. Always lovely chips and sausage and a good range to choose from. Never been disappointed. It is always good when we sit in as well.
Staff are attentive and friendly too.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 21 March 2018

I have eaten twice here within the last month. The fish and chip supper with bread and butter and tea or coffee are good value for money. The fish was fresh and the chips crisp and not at all greasy. The service is outstanding. Both the management and staff are very welcoming. The dining area and toilets are immaculately clean. I would have given a five star rating if it had not been for the use of plastic. I am especially concerned that the peas were served in a polystyrene container. This is not at all necessary when the fish and chips are served on a crockery plate. Next time I go I will ask the staff to serve my peas directly onto the plate. The butter and milk were provided in individual plastic packets. I hope the managent will consider using milk jugs and and placing butter directly onto the side plates too.

Date of visit: March 2018