“Late Valentine meal”

Hopping Hare
Ranked #45 of 633 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$21 - US$39
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Hopping Hare is a restaurant, pub & hotel. FoodThe quality of our food is really important to us.That's why everything is prepared from the finest ingredients, the freshest produce and the very best meat and fish.Our head chef has hand picked suppliers who support our food ethos and knows where the meat is reared, how the fish is caught and where the vegetables have been grown. We source locally as much as possible.Our Menus are updated regularly offering slowly braised, heart-warming comfort food when it's chilly outside, and lighter, pan-fried dishes with tender fresh vegetable and salads during the summer months. We offer chef specials every day, while Sunday's menu offers you a choice of Great British roasts with all the trimmings. It's always advisable to book to ensure a place in our relaxed conservatory restaurant.Table service is also available in the contemporary dining room with its more casual atmosphere.DrinkWhen the temperatures dip outside, we get the log fires burning to create a warm welcome, while in summer the sun streams through the open doors to reveal a large decked area that's perfect for outdoor days and balmy evenings.The contemporary dining room area is cleverly zoned by interior design to accommodate groups of all sizes. There are perfect spots for business people, backed up by free WiFi throughout the building. You will also find quiet, intimate corners for couples, fireside sofas and seating clusters for small groups as well as semi-formal table arrangements. We provide newspapers every day.Our bar staff know a thing or two about serving the perfect drink for all occasions. A range of super chilled lagers sit happily alongside cask ales - all kept in tip-top condition by our cellar manager. A well balanced wine list includes something for all tastes and is available by the glass or the bottle, and there's an extremely well stocked spirits range. Soft drinks & freshly brewed teas or coffee are available at all times.For very special occasions we stock a range of champagnes.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked online was not informed our table was not in the restaurant but in the bar area. Were seated and ordered drinks waited over 10 minutes then had to go to the bar to chase up. I ordered potato and leek soup as a starter which was totally bland! I was asked by the waitress how the starter was I gave my opinion and was told the cost would be removed. After a long wait our main course arrived again very bland and very disappointing. We have eaten at this restaurant before and enjoyed very much. My wife had a sweet what came really didn’t seem to compare to what the menu said. So a very disappointing valentine meal and we both agreed that we will not use the restaurant again.
Several couples near us had to send food back because it was not hot.

Dear Peter,

You raise a number of points which I will address:

When booking on line there is a choice of selecting either the restaurant or bar & lounge areas and there is the facility to leave a message, for example to reserve a favourite table, if available.

Over a 3 day period we served approximately 150 Valentine's meals and the overwhelming feedback has been that the quality has been exceptional and represented fantastic value. We have, however, made a few mistakes and we always try to rectify mistakes to the customer's satisfaction. In situations like this we would always hope and request that the customer asks to speak to the Manager on duty to ensure a satisfactory resolution..

I am sorry and apologise for the delays you experienced. Every dish is cooked to order and this takes time but we will review our processes to try to ensure that service times are consistent and acceptable. I believe that we have been inconsistent in some instances.

I do hope you will visit us again as we have exciting plans going forward to significantly enhance our reputation as one of the very best restaurants in the County that customers will travel a considerable distance to visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Some of the best food I've ever tasted, quirky dishes, beautifully presented, and flavours one cannot forget, see you again soon!

Dear Cameron,

Many thanks for a fantastic review, very much appreciated by us all.

Excellent quality food at great value prices are our highest priorities and I am delighted that you are pleased with our offer.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We decided to come here as a post Valentine’s Day dinner. I’d heard good things but feel a little disappointed really.

Starter of pate = 1 slice of average pate, 1 slice of bread (no butter or toasted) and a bit of chutney. Not really restaurant standard and had to go ask for another slice of bread. Another couple told the waitress the exact same thing as we had observed.

The roast beef dinner was ok, not particularly hot and the beef whilst nice and rare was a little grissly. I had the hake but asked for a plain butter rather than marmite butter but it came with nothing so was dry. I asked for some sauce and the waitress did get me some basil veloute which took the dryness away but didn’t match the other flavours. I expected sweet potato on the side and crispy kale however it was actually sweet potato purée (a smear of) and 3 pieces of non crispy kale. Very odd and very small. The cauliflower cheese was amazing!

Dessert was a brownie with raspberries and ice cream but it wasn’t raspberries it was 3 dots of raspberry purée (spotting a theme here). It was nice however.

The waitresses were pleasant but a little bit absent not sure if they were understaffed.

We probably won’t revisit and wouldn’t recommend as there are too many other, better restaurants around.

Dear Amber,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit. We are in the process of changing our menus and we will note the points you have raised.

Whilst not complacent, we are one of the very best restaurants in the County and the only restaurant in Northampton with 2 AA Rosettes. We source from the very best suppliers and every single dish is prepared and cooked in house and it is this that stands us head and shoulders above our competitors.

I would be delighted if you would try us again and if you have any feedback, negative or positive, then please ask to speak to The Head Chef who will be pleased to discuss with you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I decided to eat here the other night with my other half
Wow what a meal I have eaten at many michelin star restaurants and this one restaurant certainly holds its own
I started with the scallops what can I say lovely sear on the outside soft and just cooked in the centre some of the best I’ve ever had what a clever use of apple too
My other half had the ham hock terrine served at the correct temperature not to much gelatine and the black pudding scotch egg wow and offset lovely by the mustard mayo
I had the duo of beef lovely dish fillet cooked to perfection and the cheek you could cut with a spoon and a kick arse bourguignon sauce the mash was smooth and buttery just a lovely plate of food and my other half had three little pigs you could tell the belly pork had been cooked low and slow as it was melt in the mouth
The croquette was full of pork loin cooked perfection
The sage and onion purée what a stroke of genius
I had treacle tart pastry was nice and thin and crispy and the filling sticky and lush offset by the soft and creamy clotted cream ice cream my other half had the black currant parfait was also a great dessert I had to share a bit the sponge and honeycomb helped to add a bit of texture
So all in all a great meal and the service was excellent always on hand when you needed them
Would recommend to anyone as we eat out a lot and I can say it was one of the best meals I’ve had

Dear Andrew,

Many thanks for your in-depth review of the meals you enjoyed at The Hopping Hare. Complimentary feedback from a committed ''foodie'' who eats out regularly at top restaurants is always really satisfying and a great compliment to Darren Curson our Head Chef.

Darren is a Master Chef of Great Britain and we have exciting plans to establish The Hopping Hare as a venue that discerning customers will travel a considerable distance to visit.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This might be one of my new favourite places. Everything cooked beautifully which as a chef is nice to go somewhere and just eat. The restaurant was busy and staff still attentive. Good choice of wines too.

Dear Gareth,

Many thanks for your kind review and for awarding the team top marks, very much appreciated by all of us.

It is always very reassuring when we receive compliments on our food offer from a chef.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards, David.