“Never dissapointed! It is just the best!”

Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms - York
Ranked #80 of 975 Restaurants in York
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We go here regularly to meet friends and family, You have to pick your times carefully otherwise you queue but we tend to go for early breakfast once we arrive in York for the day, so never have too! We love all the Betty's products and they never disappoint! This is a must do if you are in York, Ilkely, Harrogate or Northallerton!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,687)

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I went here with my kids on a very busy day in York. Not too big a queue when we joined it at around 11.20 but it soon grew as Betty's is so popular! We got a perfect seat looking out onto the square. Service was efficient and very very friendly. The food was delicious. I had fish and chips, without doubt the best I've ever had. The kids had sausage and chips which they loved. My desert was a rhubarb frangipane which was to die for. I love Betty's!

1  Thank Jo D
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea here on Saturday 24t March.
We had booked the upstairs tea room on line. The queue for the main cafe was down stairs and out the door. Very popular place.
On entering the upstairs tea room there was a pianist playing which set a wonderful atmosphere. The service was excellent and attentive. I had high expectations and they were all met.
The afternoon tea itself was delightful and faultless. My friend and I also enjoyed a glass of rose champagne.
I will be returning on my next visit to York

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Betty's is an institution in York (as well as in other Yorkshire cities) and it is easy to see why. Queues are often out the door and around the corner, but it is worth the wait to have tea at Betty's. The food is superb, with dainty sandwiches and gorgeous pastries, and a long list of specialty teas. The ambience is also traditional and classic. The service is great, too - somehow they get you in and out without seeming to rush things at all. Would highly recommend this quintessential York experience.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

As always when i visit York i pop into Betty's for a Fat Rascal.
Betty has now made a spiced fat rascal, with more currents but no cherries for eyes, it was ok but not as nice as the original fat rascal.
The shop was quiet,so i was served straight away, but as always there was a queue around the block of people waiting to dine, i would advise anyone who wishes to dine at Bettys to book in advance.