3,272 results
All reviews clifford's tower two double beds car park excellent location castle museum central location reception staff breakfast was excellent stayed for one night short break valet shambles pubs minster
Reviewed 12 September 2018

Firstly, this hotel is in a good location within easy reach of all the sights. The hotel is pleasant enough and the room sufficient. The TV and wifi worked well, there was an in room safe and the bed was comfortable. However from there it is all downhill. There is no fridge in the room, the bathroom was way too small, the shower over bath too narrow and the water was lukewarm only. The toilet flushing was not working and it took 3 separate visits for this to be resolved. Front desk staff were not able to assist with attractions and things to do and there was no travel desk. Housekeeping was way below the expected standard, towels not replaced when requested, soap not replaced, tissue box empty and not refilled. The restaurant menu was very limited and unappealing, saved by several outside restaurants close by. The laundry service was expensive and not done well. All in all we expect better from a Hilton.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
HiltonYork, General Manager at Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Dear jbelbin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of Hilton York.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the room and various issues with the bathroom toilet and housekeeping. I have passed your feedback onto the Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager for their attention.

It is disappointing to read that on this occasion we have fallen short of the standards that are normally associated with Hilton York and your comments will be most useful when we come to review our products and services.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

We booked a superior room and were allocated a top floor room which was at end of the front of the hotel. Due to extremely poor water pressure we could not shower properly. After a visit from maintenance the shower wasn't any better. After a 2nd complaint the maintence man came with a second man. They were able to fix it but said it would only be temporary. We complained and reluctantly agreed to move room. We were now on the 1st floor and the shower was fine. As an apology we were given vouchers for 4 drinks and a box of chocolates. I would have preferred a working shower in the first place. Top tip : don't take top floor if you want a good shower !

Room tip: Don't take top floor as as shower might be really poor.
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear SteveWa58,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I would like to personally apologise for the issue you encountered during your stay. Please let me assure you this is not our usual standard as I can assure you we take pride in providing an exceptional service for our guests and I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If your travels ever bring you back to York, please let me know so that we can welcome you back and have the opportunity to show you our usual high standards.

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a week. Great location opposite Clifford’s Tower however the hotel is showing its age.
Room was clean and tidy but the decor is dated and there was a sign of a leak from a room above as the plaster was coming away from the ceiling.
My biggest problem was with the restaurant arrived at 7pm to be told they couldn’t take bookings until 7.30pm as the kitchen was busy with a coach tour who were dining. Ordered bar food instead cheese and picke sandwich, arrived promptly but the crust had mould on it. Another night the pie arrived looking rather lost with a dollop of mash sitting next to it on a plate, nothing more! Somewhat over priced at nearly £15. Again two large coach parties were being served and other guest were being neglected. Not brilliant and wouldn’t recomend.

Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear chris16642018,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am disappointed to learn of the issue with the restaurant and food you received. I can assure you your comments have been taken most seriously and I have passed them on to the Head Chef and Deputy Manager who looks after the restaurant, for their immediate action.

I am sorry that you would not recommend that Hilton York but hope that you may reconsider that we can have the opportunity to show you that we can do better.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide to our guests so that we can make improvements and ensure our guests enjoy their stay.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

This is one of the hotels that has both great accommodations and restaurant. We had great service from all staff. We enjoyed dinner the night we arrived - Roasted Chicken/Vegetables, Fish/Vegetables, Tomato Basil Soup and Apple Tart, was all very good. Location was great, close to shopping and the old Clifford Tower. Especially pretty with the sun starts to rise and its rays glistened onto the old brick tower.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

On initial views excellent looking hotel nice reception and helpful staff, superb location.
We booked though hotels.com who have since altered description since, 2 adults 2 small girls 2 Queen beds 2 family room turned into 2 double beds that you could lay in and touch the other in a dated standard size bedroom with no air con, all other family rooms we've stayed in had separate sleeping areas, great for my wife and I to have to go to bed when 2 young girls were tired.
Only main hotel bar and restaurant open, Applejacks bar has restricted opening towards weekends although it's not stated anywhere.
Staff did say that's the only family room option and couldn't help as I'd booked through a 3rd party.
The booking was for 4 people but insufficient towels etc in the room although after another visit to reception this was sorted.
Staff at breakfast were very good and attentive to our needs and food options were good.
I've emailed the hotel and hotels.com but neither have come back with satisfactory information yet.
Great couple hotel but don't take the children!!
Small underground car park is great if space allows.

Trip type: Traveled with family