“Beautiful fossils ”

Ranked #15 of 28 Shopping in Whitby
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

A delightful place to grab a natural souvenir or gift . A little art gallery and a plentiful supply of fossils to buy. Staff are friendly and informative.

All reviews
"graveyard"
"steps"
"abbey"

Reviewed 19 March 2017

Three of us, all adults, joined a large group who went on this trip on a Saturday morning. A friend recommended we should go on a guided fossil hunt if we were ever in Whitby and we were not disappointed. Byron who led the trip was knowledgeable, humorous and made the outing interesting and fun for everyone. We walked up the 199 steps to the Abbey and along the Cleveland Way to Saltwick Bay. Once on the beach Byron gave a very informative talk on the types of fossils we might find and where to look for them and how to do so safely. He was also very willing to advise on what we had found especially encouraging the younger members of the group. We found many ammonites and then Byron took us to see two dinosaur footprints and an ammonite graveyard. Recommended to book in advance as these trips do get booked up quickly, leave ample time to get parked in Whitby and wear sturdy footwear, ideally with ankle support. The walk is quite strenuous and the rocks can be slippy so not recommended for very young children or anyone not reasonably fit. But a fun and interesting three hours for those able to do it.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

A lovely little shop full of interesting treasures and finds. Great selection of fossils and minerals from the local area and also other parts of the uk. Little bit cluttered but looked like they just had new arrivals. The chap behind the counter was friendly and they also organise fossil trips too, which look to have good reviews.

Reviewed 12 February 2017

If you are interested in fossils, minerals etc then this shop will be of interest to you. It is located just off the main bridge in Whitby in a lane to the right as you head in the direction of the main shops and Abbey. There is a large interesting collection of the usual ammonites, bivalves and trilobites but these are together with a lot of unusual examples from various places on the planet ie morocco, usa etc. The mineral collection is fascinating and they also have jewellery. The lady there is very informative and friendly even though we did not buy anything.
Personally, we thought it a tad expensive compared to other similar shops that we know of.