“Good Food”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #59 of 227 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$64 - US$69
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2018

Came across the White Horse and Griffin whilst walking around Whitby and returned the same evening with family. The service was good and the food was very good, the party choose both starters and main courses and in all cases the meals were enjoyed.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

We spotted this interesting looking place in beautiful Whitby. It's a quirky, old and very attractive building so we decided to pop in for lunch. It is lovely inside, full of character if somewhat dark, but that just adds to the character in my opinion.

We went into a lower back room beyond the bar, where there was one other table of two diners occupied. The young waitress who served us was very friendly and polite and we were made to feel welcome. We ordered drinks which came quickly, and were good.

Unfortunately after such an encouraging start, things went rapidly down hill when it came to the food. Looking at the previous reviews, it may be that they were having an off day. Sadly that translated into somewhat spoiling our day, or at least our lunch anyway.

We ordered a fish and chips for hubby, and I fancied something a bit different so ordered two 'tapas', a mini fish and chips and a 'hand made' scotch egg. Now considering that the place was virtually empty, the food took a very long time to come. My husband commented that they must have gone to catch the fish! We waited around 45 minutes for our food to come. In that time, only one order came out of the kitchen to be delivered to the upstairs dining room, then the other table of two diners received theirs. The waitress went into the kitchen and told the chef to cancel one order, so I suspect that some other diners couldn't wait any longer and left. We were sitting right by the kitchen, and could hear every word that was said in there, so I know for an absolute fact that they cancelled those orders.

The fish and chips were good when they eventually came. Nice, fresh fish with crispy batter, and the promised hand cut chips. One of my pet hates is being served frozen chips in restaurants, so bonus points for the 'proper spud' chips. The 'tapas' version was also nice if not exactly as advertised. It said cod goujons on the menu, when it was in fact approximately one third of a regular fish fillet, with skinny chips and one teaspoonful of mushy peas, served on a plank of wood. I had no issue with it not being the advertised goujons as it was fresh and tasty and perfectly nice. Bit stingy with the teaspoon of peas, but only a minor component of the dish.

Then the 'hand-made' scotch egg came. Again on a plank with a bit of lollo rosso and a teaspoon of piccalilli. Now, it may well be hand-made, I am not calling anybody a liar. But I sincerely doubt that anybody would bother to take the time and trouble to hand make a scotch egg to the standard of a supermarket one. It didn't look in the slightest bit hand made. Maybe they have superb manual dexterity and can faithfully replicate the appearance of mass produced scotch eggs, but why would you want to? Surely you would want hand-made food to appear hand-made. It most certainly didn't taste hand-made. Not by the wildest stretches of my imagination can I say that this tasted hand-made. If I was making a scotch egg, I would use high quality sausage meat. I would maybe add some black pudding, or haggis, or sage or something to raise the quality of the scotch egg above supermarket standard.

I would also serve it hot, and would expect the centre (eg the egg),to be slightly soft. I have had gourmet scotch eggs before, and expect a lot more. Putting a straight out of the fridge supermarket standard scotch egg on a plank of wood with a leaf of lollo rosso and a teaspoon of piccalilli does not justify a £5 price tag.

I told the waitress, who to her credit was apologetic and offered to get me something else. I chose the half-pint of mussels, then as she disappeared into kitchen, I instantly regretted it as I was worried we would wait another 45 minutes. Fortunately they came out fairly quickly, so brownie points there.

They were tasty, but served in a glass beaker, like those water glasses you got at school dinners. I would imagine a half-pint of mussels would be served in one of those old style half-pint pots with a handle, wide enough that you can get to the contents at the bottom. The mussels (around ten) were jammed into the top of the beaker, then there was a big empty space, then the cream sauce in the bottom of the beaker. There was a soup spoon provided, but really who wants to sit retrieving sauce from the bottom of a deep beaker with a soup spoon? Either that, or drink the sauce from the glass! There was also a small bread roll provided, which you couldn't possibly use to soak up the sauce because of the width of the beaker. I am a lady with small hands, and there is no way I could dunk the bread to bottom of that narrow glass. And the biggest faux-pas is serving a microwave heated bread roll. It was fortunately just a few seconds the right side of turning rubbery, but microwaved bread rolls is a massive no-no!

I am almost 50 years old, and have spent my entire career in hospitality. I have worked in everything from fast food, cruise ships, five star hotel restaurants etc, and I am well able to distinguish microwaved bread. The venue may dispute this, but I can categorically state that the roll was microwaved.

Anyway, my husband went and paid the bill. On leaving, I discovered that they had also overcharged us by £5.50. The fish and chips was on the menu at £10, but we had been charged £15.50 for it. I went back in, and they did rectify it, but to me it added insult to injury.

Perhaps they work on the premise that trade will be largely tourists so it doesn't matter as they probably won't be back anyway. In the age of tripadvisor reviews I would heartily suggest a re-think.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed in Whitby and asked a taxi for somewhere privately owned to eat he took us here. We where we'll looked after and enjoyed a few drinks before going down to the restaurant to eat fish and chips of course and very good too would recommend.

1  Thank BensonandHedges
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Family trip we stayed just next door so this was a handy place to end our day. Welcoming to us and the dog and my young children. Nice fire in the seating area upstairs. Drinks were reasonable priced good gin choice. Waiting on staff were lovely. We had some bar snacks, mini fish and chips , fish was lovely, also some breads and nuts with dipping oil , well priced. We looked at the main menu thought it looked pricey (£12 for Camembert starter) so we didn’t eat there. I do recommend for a quiet pit stop.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Stayed here at the weekend after booking online. This hotel is absolutely dripping in history and you can read all about this in your room as there is a booklet telling you all about Captain Cook and how it used to be a coaching house and was even a waxwork museum over the years! Was stunned to see also that celebrity chefs have cooked here!

Was shown to our room by one of the cheeriest friendliest staff I have ever met at a hotel, we stayed in the Scoresby room which is your 'basic double'. Well if this is a basic double then these other hotels need to up their game! It was just beautiful! I was surprised to see a real fireplace in the room (albeit for decoration only) and the room was tastefully decorated whilst still retaining olde worlde charm. Tea and coffee was available along with fresh locally made shortbread biscuits. We were brought milk in a flask and there was a bottle of fresh water on the side.

There is a residents bar which is open until 10 pm and is on the first floor. Again, this was olde worlde and stunning with a real fire and magazines and board games up there.

The restaurant is on the ground floor and I have to say I had probably the best breakfast I have ever had at a hotel! I went for the full English breakfast which came with real sausages, not that bangor muck, bacon, fried egg, black pudding, tomato and beans. Along with fresh toast and a slab of butter, tea and coffee. You can help yourself to cereals and fruit etc on the side as well as fruit juice.

The service here is outstanding, even the cleaning lady smiled and said hello, can't fault them at all and if you have a dog they will allow you to bring it for a charge of £10.

OK so here are the negatives, which is a real shame but I am just being honest! First and foremost the noise - if you are a light sleeper like me then please take ear plugs - you can hear all and sundry getting up in the night to use the bathroom! Creaking floors and toilet cisterns all over the show! Also the window was a sash window so when the seagulls start you will hear them! Also the bathroom was quite thin and pokey and the water from the taps wasn't clear - I think it was seawater? Hence the bottle of water in the room I think.

However, this would not stop me staying again - I really would just take ear plugs! This was a wonderful experience for my first stay over in Whitby, highly recommended!

1  Thank RottweillerReviewer