“Good food in a nice atmosphere”

The Star Inn The Harbour
Ranked #64 of 229 Restaurants in Whitby
Reviewed 7 January 2019

This is not the cheapest place you will find but it appears to be aimed at diners looking for more than the standard fare on offer at a lot of the other restaurants. If you look beyond the prices you will feel well rewarded after you have tasted what is on offer. There was a good choice on both the starter and the main course menu with an eclectic mix of fish and meat to tempt the palette.

The food was excellent quality and the service was top class. The waitress was very attentive without being overbearing which added to the enjoyment of our special family meal to celebrate New Year together.

I would agree with other reviewers that the wine was a little overpriced for the quality but not as overpriced as the water at £4 a bottle!

However, that said, it doesn't detract away from the overall experience and I'd ask for tap water next time (once bitten, twice shy). I would certainly recommend to friends who were looking for that something a little bit different.

1  Thank RoamingTiger59

Reviewed 5 January 2019 via mobile

The service was absolutely brilliant from the time we walked through the door. The place is very cosy, layout well thought out as it didn't feel crammed even with all other tables around us fully occupied. The food was nice, my fish cakes huge and a little too salty with the amount of bacon with the garnish. The other dishes were perfect. Prices slightly above the average, but worth it. Definitely will be back.

Date of visit: January 2019
3  Thank evao915
Reviewed 3 January 2019

Excellent food. Wine a little over-priced for the quality but it didn’t detract from a first class meal.

1  Thank gouldphilling
Reviewed 3 January 2019

We came to your restaurant as a New Years day treat after walking the 199 steps of the Abbey and surrounding area . A work colleague recommended two of your restaurants, so we decided to try for ourselves and came for some sea air a walk and lunch at The Star Inn Whitby. We were not disappointed we had a lovely booth table and the food was delicious. Great service, easy parking. We hope to try out Star in the City sometime in February.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank Tricia L
Reviewed 31 December 2018 via mobile

We were really disappointed with our meal here.
I ordered the cod, chips and mushy peas. My husband ordered the Turbot with a side of new potatoes...

My fish and chips arrived, but no peas and my husbands turbot came without his potatoes + it was the smallest piece of fish I have ever seen.
We asked the waitress, who brought the food where our sides were, she said that she would find out and disappeared...

We then had to ask someone else re the missing items.
Finally the potatoes came but no peas and the potatoes were cold.
We asked the lady (who had originally taken our order) about the peas and she said that she would find out if the dish came with them? This then made me question myself but I was sure that it did say it on the menu or I would not have ordered the dish.
She then came back with mushy peas in hand and said yes they were on the menu but the staff were not aware of this as they usually were not???
We mentioned the cold potatoes again and finally got them changed for hot ones

The lady who took our order was very apologetic, however the experience and the meal was poor for the expensive price tag

2  Thank jacsmart2015