“Excellent Authentic Flavors”

Lao Cafe
Ranked #3,817 of 23,613 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$35 - US$42
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: London's first Laotian restaurant.
Reviewed 5 March 2021

I always make a stop here when I'm in London. Mainly because every time I'm in the UK I don't eat a single vegetable other than potatoes and my digestive system gets backed up a bit. The spice clears that right up.

It's a relatively small place, with maybe seating for 25. I came through with my giant suitcase and they were nice enough to stash it away as I shoveled food in my face.

For two, I normally order:
- Thai-style tumm (two chilis)
- Makhuer Yao (grilled aubergine)
- Jee Moo (grilled pork skewers)
- Sai Oua (herbed pork sausages)
- Khao Jee (grilled sticky rice)
- And a milk tea for my white friends who cannot handle spice

The one thing that can be improved on is the portion size and the salt levels - it's slightly heavy-handed. My last visit here was pre-COVID but Tripadvisor won't input that date.

Date of visit: April 2020
Write a reviewReviews (169)

Reviewed 9 March 2020

I’d never heard of Lao cuisine until I tried it. Highly recommend. Lao is sort of a mix between Thai and Vietnamese.

Date of visit: March 2020
1  Thank Zorick13
Reviewed 28 February 2020 via mobile

Turned up unannounced and soon had a table for 3 and a friendly, quick dinner with a bunch of dishes to share. Great location on Chandos Place, just up from The Strand. Really nice interior and vibe.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 23 February 2020 via mobile

Just on the edge of Covent Garden ensured this was a bustling place which was full of atmosphere, there is seating downstairs too but tables are close together. The food was delicious and a good variety on offer. My Thai partner’s favourite restaurant during this visit so far.

Date of visit: February 2020
2  Thank 518marcuss
Reviewed 30 January 2020 via mobile

Came here for lunch with a colleague. Service was attentive and although we were one of the first in, it soon filled up.

Food came quickly and was clearly fresh and piping hot. We got the soup with pork ribs, dry red curry and a Lao style papaya salad. Would recommend all of them. It was a lot of food for 2 people, but we managed most of it.

The prices are reasonable and I will return!!

Date of visit: December 2019