“Pleasant enough - very expensive”

Patara Fine Thai Restaurant - South Kensington
Ranked #3,145 of 24,997 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$33 - US$66
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Popped in on Sunday for an early dinner. It seems quite formal inside, not really a cosy restaurant. Staff professional and friendly.
Now I know that London is an expensive place, but I found it excessively pricey for tasty enough but not massive dishes. My son left feeling hungry, his prawn dish had 5 prawns in it. I would have liked a fixed menu with lots of bits and pieces but at £40 a head I thought not. Even a selection of starters - usually my favourite bit - would have been £13 a head. Main courses generally in the £18 to £25 plus range.
For that much I would have expected perfection. Thought presentation and menu all a bit pretentious really. Good food doesn’t need to be fancy.
Maybe I’m living in the past.

Patara_London, Public Relations Manager at Patara Fine Thai Restaurant - South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant.

We believe our restaurant offers a fine dining experience. We have other branches in London that provide a cosier atmosphere, with the same friendly and welcoming staff.
We do hope you will return and see us soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Booked by my partner for my birthday, I was looking forward to what I thought would be more the standard Thai I remembered of Patara. Well we were both so impressed with our dinner, the mixed platter of starters were delicious and offered a wide selection. We both had beef for our main course, one spicy and quick cooked, the other less so with lemongrass, coconut and lime, slow cooked, so wonderful, with such tasty crispy vegetables. Then they presented us with a beautiful birthday dessert. The whole meal was so tasty with such beautiful flavours, with such courteous service, it was a real treat.

Patara_London, Public Relations Manager at Patara Fine Thai Restaurant - South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, we couldn't have wished for a better review than this.
We hope to see again next time you're celebrating... or if you just fancy another incredible meal at Patara.

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Very enjoyable, hitch with drinks but admirably dealt with. Food very good with attentive service. Decor pleasing and the wine excellent

Patara_London, Manager at Patara Fine Thai Restaurant - South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Thank you for your review and for choosing our restaurant. We are happy that you enjoyed our food and service.
Looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

I booked a table for 2 for a Friday evening. Got to the place in time. We had to wait 10mins past our time for a table. This is even when there were tables available. I could see that some customers had their coats taken from them 'may I take your coat' some didn't. After we got the table we waited for another 25mins and no one came to take our order. Even after we said to one waitress 3 times that no one has taken our order. Don't think she understood English.
Cannot comment on the food as we had to leave because of this experience. To be honest the menu wasn't all that great too. Way too expensive for a very congested and unfriendly place.

Patara_London, Manager at Patara Fine Thai Restaurant - South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback following your recent visit to the Patara Restaurant - South Kensington.
I was sorry to read your comments and would like to apologise that your experience did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Please be assured we value such honest feedback and I have passed your comments to our team, to ensure that we are able to improve our offering in future.

I am keen to discuss the details further with you and if it is convenient could I please ask you to contact me directly on chanya@snpfood.com

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in future and restore your faith in our service.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

This is a Thai restaurant run by Thai people. The food is good and we would go there again..... but it’s not cheap. Others have commented on the cost of water etc. This is West London and sadly life is not cheap. Generally you get what you pay for

Patara_London, Manager at Patara Fine Thai Restaurant - South Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2018

Thank you for your review and for choosing our restaurant. We are happy that you enjoyed our food.
Looking forward to welcome you back again soon.