“Impeccable. ”

Dishoom Carnaby
Ranked #310 of 24,261 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited here with my wife and 2 girls for my daughter's 8th birthday. The food was incredible and the service second to none. There was a wait to get a table as there often is with the best places but the staff were accommodating and really looked after us. Highly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had been given two separate recommendations for dishoom when travelling to London for the weekend.

I tried to make a booking online but they only allow lunch bookings, or bookings for parties of six and above.

We were going to see a show just by the Covent Garden restaurant so we headed up in what we thought was lots of time to get fed before the theatre. The queue, we were told, was approximately 90 minutes long.

We ate elsewhere that night but of course we were now intrigued as to why this place was so popular so the following day we headed to the carnaby branch to change our arm at a table and we were seated within 15 minutes.

Everything about this place was just spot on. The service, the cocktails, the atmosphere. But above all, the food. Absolutely out of this world. We had some small plates to start with before ordering our main when we had let our tummies settle. There was no rushing us, no attempts to upsell everything on the menu.

You need to order the dahl! It is to die for.

Just the best Indian food I've ever eaten. Cannot wait to return.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Taken to this restaurant by a friend who is a regular visitor, I was not disappointed. The regular visitor's knowledge was helpful but so too were the staff who explained and advised.
A lover of Indian food, I can thoroughly recommend the food, ambience and general surroundings of this restaurant
The food was excellent and partly due to the concise menu, it was easy to select dishes that I suspected would be my favourite. Probably the best Indian food I have eaten outside of India.
The highlight of the visit may have been being able to see the open kitchen and the food being prepared as we ventured downstairs from where we ate. Impressive and reassuring.
Definitely worth a visit. I will certainly be returning with family who love Indian food.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a late lunch here several weeks ago with my 12 year old daughter. It took as multiple tries and multiple locations before we finally ate here given the wait during dinner hours. Arriving at 245 on a Tuesday afternoon, we were seated right away. We ordered a variety of veg and chicken based dishes and enjoyed trying everything. Sometimes the pieces of chicken required some effort, if you don't like to eat the skin, but overall each dish was full of distinct flavor. The chai too was fantastic (a milky version, maybe that's always the case in India/UK but not US). Service was a little slow - especially with water refills, but they were (as always) quite busy. Even the bathrooms have character. Highly recommend and will go back next time we're in London!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Really delicious breakfast, I’m sure we’ll be back to try lunch. Lovely atmosphere and attentive service. The chilli cheese and egg on toast was really nice along with the bottomless Chai. We will definitely be back.