“First class in every respect.”
Review of Locanda Locatelli

Locanda Locatelli
Ranked #1,251 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having visited Locanda Locatelli on two previous occasions, (reviewed once), and with both visits falling short of what you would expect from a “Premier League” restaurant - another visit seemed out of the question. However, after reading a recent professional review of Locanda Locatelli, (following a makeover), I tentatively booked a return visit, to celebrate my wife’s birthday. She’s a big fan of Mr Locatelli. I can’t recall much from our first two visits, apart from some underwhelming and un-Italian “sous-vide” dishes, some very aggressive salad dressings and “patchy” service. On this occasion however - every aspect was excellent.

The food was first rate, with a special mention for the oxtail ravioli which were simply outstanding. I tentatively asked could we share a main-course sized portion as a “primo” and a quick “Certainly sir, no problem” was forthcoming. This meant that we could both order a “secondi” and boy – were they good. My wife’s rabbit was, (to use her words), “In a different class” to the rabbit she ate a few weeks ago, in another highly regarded restaurant in London, (that actually specialises in game). The polenta that accompanied the rabbit was again, in the words of my wife, the best polenta she had ever tasted – Italian trips included. My beef-cheek was so deliciously braised – you could have eaten it with a spoon. The item that indicated how much the kitchen had improved came in the form of the simple “deep-fried courgette” side-dish. Courgette fries are not easy to get right. If the batter is too heavy, you simply end up with large lumps of batter and courgette. Too light and the courgette strips absorb too much of the cooking medium and they turn into a limp, greasy mess. The best example we had eaten up to this visit was in a contemporary Italian restaurant in Victoria. The fries there are very good – these were outstanding. They simply could not be improved upon.

So after our three courses, we were wondering could we fit in a dessert. We asked for, (and received), a ten minute pause before deciding to have desserts. I chose the special of the day and my wife, her perennial favourite, Tiramisu. The dessert of the day was a pineapple and pear tartlet with crystallised rosemary and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream - simply gorgeous. The pastry of the tart was wafer-thin and crisp, the filling not overly sweet - with the occasional flavour-burst provided by the rosemary. My wife’s Tiramisu was excellent - but like her starter of Burrata – hard to muck up to be honest.

The wines that were recommended to accompany the desserts were excellent, as was the bottle of Primitivo from the excellent Altemura, that we drank with the meal. Post and pre-prandial drinks were also as good as you would expect from an establishment with such a pedigree. In fact the whole lunchtime experience was an unqualified success - on all counts.

We will be back.

1  Thank JandApe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We returned on our last evening in London and it did not disappoint . Everything was scrumptious from the special warm bean potato salad to homemade pasta to gorgeous deserts including pistachio cannoli .
The wine sommelier is one of the best. The wine list is magnificent but you need his help to find the perfect wine to accompany the resplendent cuisine . Wow!
Our concierge had suggested a newer restaurant, Frescobaldi but it was a poor choice compared to locanda locatelli . See our review of frescobaldi to see how they failed .

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked a table for 3 people for lunch to celebrate my husband's Birthday on 29th March; my booking was made about 2 weeks in advance. I was given a choice of a 12 noon or 1.30pm sitting. I opted for the latter (even if a bit later than I would have wished for). As it happened we arrived at 1pm and found the restaurant almost empty. Why could we have not been given a time for us to choose from in the circumstances? The service was charming, with great advice from the sommelier. The food was faultless, although we could have done without the amuse bouche. This was a dough ball with a tomato and a bit of oregano; it was chewy and added nothing to the dining experience. After having a lovely meal I asked for the bill. It arrived and they had omitted to add the wine. Being an honest individual, and worrying that one of the members of staff would get into trouble, I pointed out their mistake. They took the bill away, had a long discussion, and returned with a new bill with over £100 added. Their response to my honesty was casual indifference (including 13% service charge added to the wine) and not even a thank you. Sadly I left the lunch with the after taste of the wine soured.

1  Thank Every6to8weeks
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my second visit, every thing about this restaurant is perfect. Ambiance of this restaurant is very relaxing and the restaurant was busy with all ages of people including children.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Definitely the best Italian restaurant in London, wonderful location, the staff is very kind and professional .
Amazing aperitif from the bar, and the sommelier team is one of the best I never seen in a restaurant.
The food is amazing and dinning experience has always been one of the best.
Totally recommended and I consider my self a very picky client. Totally please with this restaurant and looking forward for my next Italian food adventure with them.