“Featured in 007 movie Spectre”
Review of Rules Restaurant

Rules Restaurant
Ranked #607 of 24,678 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$0 - US$36
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by Thomas Rule in 1798, Rules is a Covent Garden institution and the oldest restaurant in London. Tuxedoed waiters glide around the formal interior, decorated with antique sketches, where plush banquettes offer a discreet retreat from the main dining room. The whole-hearted menu of traditional British food specialises in classic game cookery, oysters, pies and puddings, featuring game birds, roe deer and Belted Galloway beef fresh from the establishment's own High Pennines estate. The wine list is a French-led affair, or there are native draught beers served in silver tankards.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Mostly a bucket list check-off for us as their claim is the "oldest restaurant in London". Supposedly Charles Dickens had a person favorite table. As expect the prices are high, the food was OK, service, can't complain. Again it was for the experience. There was a Beefeater doorman, nice touch but don't try to tip him. Across the street is the apartment that Voltaire used while in exile from France. (according to a little plaque on the wall).

1  Thank Steve S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,891)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We visited Rules in March for an early dinner before the theater.
The booking was swiftly done beforehand through their website.
The welcome was warm and the waiter very nice and attentive. We like the food very much. The acustic was good and all in all a very fine evening.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I hadn’t been to Rule’s in many years, so it was a pleasure to ser it remains the same, as good as, if not better. Drinks at the bar upstairs, dinner downstairs. Excellent roast, best horseradish in a long time, ale in tankards, delicious Stilton, lovely puddings. A reasonable bill, pleasant service.
Full marks.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

When a restaurant describes itself by a superlative there is always the thought in your mind that it's going to be a disappointment. But Rules' description of itself as the oldest restaurant in London seemed factual and it was interesting to read the story behind this claim. Any qualms were quickly dispelled when, time after time, Rules got it just right and frequently surpassed expectation. Being greeted by a doorman in uniform always gets a visit off to a right start but perhaps that started in the taxi when the driver enquired what special occasion we were celebrating. Arriving about half an hour before our reservation time we enjoyed a cocktail in the bar upstairs - good choice of cocktails, nicely presented and delicious to drink. Back downstairs to the restaurant and we were shown to our table. I'm not sure if we were deliberately seated in a discreet place but, with a broken arm and having to eat with one hand, I was grateful to be some distance from other diners. We were glad we decided against having a starter as the main course was so good I would have been sad if I hadn't managed to eat it all. I chose the haunch of venison and, not liking rare red meat, asked for it to be cooked as well done as the chef could bear to cook it. It was absolutely perfect - indeed I couldn't remember the last time I enjoyed a meal as much as I did that one. But it wasn't just the amazingly good quality of the food or the great service that made the meal so enjoyable and memorable. The atmosphere of the establishment was just very relaxing and comfortable and we left vowing to return to a place that in the space of a couple of hours had come to feel homely and pleasantly familiar. My only regret was that I did not speak to an elderly gentleman who was seated near us shortly before we left - he smiled at me, possibly in sympathy for my strapped up arm, and I smiled back but I'm sure that had I made the effort to start a conversation it would have felt like talking to a family member and been the right way to end a great visit.

1  Thank SusanfromSouthsea
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Pre theatre lunch here and loved it . Not the first time we have been here and its always special the food as you would expect is very good traditional British fare plus the experience of dining in such a historic surroundings is amazing. My only moan is that i eat to much !!