“Memories , Memories”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$12.98*
and up
Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising...
Ranked #118 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Please see the website for up to date information. Just around the corner from the world-famous Portobello Road Market stands a unique, Aladdin's cave of retro design and memories - the only museum of its kind in the whole world. Imagine walking through a corridor full from floor to ceiling with the treats that the British have filled their shopping baskets with for the last 200 years. Every corner you turn in the Time Tunnel leads you into a different decade. Discover what has made shoppers tick for the last 200 years and surround yourself in the classic designs, vintage adverts and retro stylings that fill our museum. The Museum is available to hire for evening events and there's a fabulous conference room for daytime events! So whether you visit to awaken childhood memories or to inspire your own designs, we welcome you to the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising. Opening Times Tuesday to Saturday: 10am - 6pm Sunday: 11am - 5pm Monday: Closed, except bank holidays We are closed during the Notting Hill Carnival, 24, 25 and 26 December and New Year's Day. Last entry is 45 minutes before closing.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A party of us visited this fascinating museum and had such a wonderful time, the exhibits went back to Victorian days right through to the present day. They included grocery items, toys, fashions, pop stars etc and brought back so many memories. We all enjoyed it so much we spent much longer there than we had expected. My husband & I were glad that we had got there early & had a coffee & cake in their cafe before meeting the group. The coffee was delicious much better than one gets in most of the "chains.".

All reviews
in 39 reviews
"gift shop"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have wanted to visit the Museum of Brands, Packaging & Advertising for a number of years and finally managed to get there on 11th March. It was well worth waiting for, I had a thoroughly enjoyable and interesting visit. There are many real artefacts to see that are sensibly arranged in chronological order (with some written commentary), these include: an extensive range of packaging through the ages, tins, bottles toys, games & posters. There were many pleasant, ‘Oh I remember that’ moments both for my daughter and myself. In another section of the museum there were displays devoted to single product lines e.g. ‘Imperial Leather talcum powder’ to name just one of many, so one could see how its packaging evolved through time. Unlike some museums where the majority of artefacts would have been the property of the wealthy elite, this is very much a collection of everyday objects that the majority of people could relate to. The collection chiefly dates from the 19th century onwards and I’m pleased to see that they are still adding to the collection with contemporary exhibits that in turn will soon become history. Some of my favourite pieces were the beautiful Victorian/Edwardian biscuit tins and mustard tins that make our modern ones look rather dull in comparison.
I think this museum would be enjoyed by anyone from ages ten and over. I don’t think very small children would really appreciate it as there are no interactive exhibits, although there are a few board games one can borrow to play with in the café for children aged about 6 plus.
The museum has a gift shop, pleasant café with indoor and outdoor seating in a lovely little garden and toilets. Currently, it costs £9.00 full adult price with usual concessions available for children, seniors etc. plus one can have a 50% discount if you are a National Trust member. Even if one had to pay the full rate I consider it money very well spent as there is much to see in a comfortable environment. The museum is open every day except Mondays (although it does open on bank holiday Mondays I believe).
Overall, I had a most enjoyable visit and would definitely like to return here.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It is not until you visit somewhere like the Museum of Brands you realise how much the things we take for granted on a daily basis shape us.
Be prepared for a lot of ‘I remember that!’ & ‘didn’t know it was that old!’.
Certainly worth a visit!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is an outstanding museum. Lovely location and a fascinating and engaging collection. The Time Tunnel was an imaginative way of displaying the collection and there were some surprising facts about advertising that I had never heard about before. Inevitably at many points in the Time Tunnel we said '..I remember that' but we delighted in being reminded of things that we had forgotten about and the context of such things in our history. Nevertheless there is something here for all ages and we will definitely be bringing our young grandchildren.
We also liked the very nice cafe and garden and all the staff we dealt with were very welcoming and most helpful. They were all clearly proud of the museum.

1  Thank Stematt79