“Great Upstairs Function room - even better staff”

Star by Hackney Downs
Ranked #8,118 of 24,268 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: British, Pub
Description: Bringing new life to this hub of the community venue, The Star by Hackney Downs acts as a showcase for Hackney's talented creatives, as well as a place to enjoy a friendly local-brewed pint or tipple, and a bite. Located on the corner of Queensdown Road and practically on the grass of Hackney Downs Park, this long-standing pub retains all the character of what was before, with a twist - so the original stand-out central bar is reminiscent of a carousel, the classic pub sign is preserved, and the large courtyard becomes a greener space. Exciting street food traders take over the kitchen for an residency changing every 3 months. The two upstairs function rooms are available for hire and are the perfect place for company socials, mid-week meetings and weekend birthdays or group parties - complete with access to their own bar. The karaoke room is a cosy gypsy caravan, with a psychic and illusionist on hand for hire. Expect magic tricks, palm-reading and mystical predictions to add that extra flair to your evening.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked the upstairs function room for a small evening with friends and the planning - both with Nicola from management and Mario from the pub - was excellent throughout the planning process. Both were responsive, helpful and very understanding (even accommodating a last-minute date change).

Staff at the venue at the night of the event were very friendly and were always available to assist or take drinks orders. Everybody had a great time and the place had a warm, welcoming atmosphere. Food and beverages were excellent and very well-priced. A wonderful experience and would highly recommend.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had been in the pub before and always found the staff to be friendly. I booked a table for Sunday lunch and when I arrived it was very busy and they did not have a note of my booking. I thought "Oh here we go" but there was no fuss made. They found me a bit of a squashed table but as soon as a better table became free we were moved. We waited a long time (nearly two pints worth) for our food, Beef and Vegan Roasts. I think it a bit of a cheek to order half a cauliflower and then get asked £2.50 if you want "extra" potatoes. Nevertheless the food was good and as I say staff excellent. DJ was playing early evening too which was a great bonus. A lovely afternoon. A general note to pubs serving Sunday Dinner pile up the spuds, they are cheap and it is really what we are there for.

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

I do not care about what people think who are but when the staff of a place who is supposed to look after client, just grab you from the neck, kick you out the bar- kind of pub cause if you re smoking a cigarette in a smoking area that is gonna closed, its really weird. I live in east London and I never lived any experience like this before. The 2 m guy at the door grab me from my neck and totally pushed me out and the manager of the place told me " to talk face to face " in the park in front the pub. I feel angry and disappointed cause when there are these kind of episode in which people feel they got I dunno which kind of power to treat their clients like these, YOU CAN NOT DO ANYTHING BUT JUST HEAR FROM THE STAFF AT THE DOOR " I do not like people who CALL THE POLICE "
STAR BY HACKNEY DOWNS YOU TOTALLY SUCK AND YOU AS A SPOT SHOULD CLOSE AND GIVE LESS DRUGS TO YOUR "SECURITY" guards.

Reviewed February 19, 2018 via mobile

Came here on a Sunday for their roast. There is both indoor and outdoor seating and despite being a small pub we found a seat pretty quickly. There are heaters outside as well as a nice view over the park so would be good in the summertime.

Ordered their beef roast (£16) from their extremely friendly staff at the bar. Roast was good and their potatoes, veg, gravy and stuffing were especially good. Only slight downside to the meal was the very small portion of beef I received in the meal. My tip for anyone going is to order the chicken as you get LOADS of chicken and it's cheaper (£14). There are both vegetarian and vegan options on the menu.

Good range of beers although you won't get any change out of a fiver. If I was in the area again, I would revisit - I would just order the chicken this time though!

Reviewed February 19, 2018

Booked a meal for 6 for Sunday lunch, as we were meeting relations in Hackney. We all opted for roast beef at £16 each. Pub is large and basically freezing. Music is loud and somewhat intrusive. When it came, the food was served on cold plates with most of it only luke warm to start with. The gravy was the only hot thing on the plate. That said, the beef was quite tasty - but nowhere near enough to eat for 6 adults. My view is that ther was enough food for 4, but served up for 6. I ordered a portion of chips after the meal for one of my sons who was still hungry! People behind the bar were nice, though there is no table service, and the beer was also OK. But food and experience is way too expensive for something of this quality. There are better, (and warmer), places out there for Sunday Lunch.

1  Thank Moketastic