“Best value”

Ranked #428 of 24,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: With a central location in the heart of St James’s, and an exceptional décor, The Balcon, is ideal for business and leisure guests alike. All-day dining restaurant, the Balcon offers a menu that reflects the Restaurant Chef’s love for local produce, the menu uses seasonal ingredients and offers traditional French dishes such as steak tartare and lemon sole meunière. For a luxury experience, a selection of Sturia caviars is also available, to enjoy with a glass of champagne.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I have been to this restaurant about 4 times in the last 8 months and it has become one of my favourite places to eat. The interior decor is so plush and the food is great. Service by French speaking waiters was excellent. The wine list is quite a wide range and price of wine and food is reasonable for the location and ambience. Ideal for pre-theatres and just or just to have some fine food to eat for dinner. Will recommend you try at least once and take your friends along. There is something to eat for everyone including Vegans.

N_Pesty, General Manager at The Balcon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for this amazing feedback.

Thank you for recommending The Balcon to your entourage and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Sofitel London St James

Write a ReviewReviews (1,269)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Came here on a Saturday afternoon for the traditional English afternoon tea. Show to our table in a busy, fairly noisy area and were left awaiting service for quite some while. Finally a waitress brought menus and we were able to select our afternoon tea to drink and ordered the full English tea with champagne. A number of young ladies waited on us and there seemed to particular continuity of service. Tea included a glass of champagne, sandwiches (chilled from the fridge and quite frankly fairly tastless), scones which were all shapes and sizes and variations of colour, a selection of cakes which frankly didn't really appeal. No-one came to check on us or pour our tea and the whole experience was somewhat disappointing.
Having been to afternoon tea at several London hotels I would opt to go somewhere like the Ritz, Claridges, the Lanesborough or Fortnum & Mason as the Balcon have not got their service or their sandwiches and scones quite right! We did ask if there were other cakes we could have had because we didn't like any of the ones on our platter but waited so long for replacements to be brought we finally gave up and left.
I would not rush back and would say that afternoon tea at the Ham Yard is still one of my favourites.

I thank you for your feedback.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience. Please rest assured that this does not reflect our normal standards of services and therefore will not happen again.

May I please ask you to contact me directly at h3144-am@sofitel.com ?

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

3 courses for £29 including glass of prosecco and would probably put this as good rather than very good. For starters we had Scallop and avocado mousseline,
lobster, brioche and then Grilled king prawn, squid ink arancini, rouille. First was fairly unmemorable and 2nd was very small. Mains were more substantial with the Hake (dish of the day) and the shortrib but by far the best course was the dessert. We had the raspberry souffle with white chocolate ice cream and the dark chocolate fondant with poached pear, so, nice to have saved the best for last!

Dear guests,

I thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry to read your comment and also surprised as usually our guests love our lobster.

On the other hand I am pleased to hear that you have loved your desserts.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Came here on Easter weekend as special treat for my Mother. Had seen reviews and it completely lived up to the hype. Set in a beautifully renovated Victorian building now the ground floor restaurant of the Sofitel Hotel in Pall Mall, it has charm, elegance and superb food. We went for the 3 course set at £25 each. The desserts were amazing and one of the mains, Beef Ribs with mushroom and polenta, was simply amazing! High standard of service throughout. Excellent place, we will be back for the afternoon tea and champers.

Dear guests,

Thank you so much for your words of praise regarding your experience at The Balcon.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Recently dined at the Balcon using a Travel zoo three courses and a glass of bubbles deal with my partner.The restaurant itself had a 5* feel and the staff were very attentive with the level of service they provided which you would expect from this type of establishment,however the food did not live up the the same level.The menu itself I felt was very limited in its choices of main dishes. One vegetarian,a fish dish,one beef dish or the house burger, which I would not class as a a dinner dish. I had the short ribs and my partner chose the fish dish.When the main dish came out my partner found the fish was raw so we brought this to the attention of the waitress who took both mine and her meals back,so I was not eating on my own.This was rectified fairly quickly,but the damage unfortunately was already done.I found the short ribs fairly fatty,and the polenta sitting in the maple didn't go,my partner at this time had lost her appetite, so the meal was not enjoyed as it should have been.The wine list although fairly extensive, was a bit expensive for the types of wine offered. I suppose this is normal in London hotels though.By the time I added up the cost of the deal plus what I paid on the night,it was an expensive disappointing evening I,like other people do take advantage of restaurant and hotel deals when available, however felt on this occasion let down,and coming away thinking I could have had a better experience somewhere else and paid less for the privilege.

I thank you for your feedback.

I would like to take this opportunity to highlight that indeed "deals" booked through third parties have a limited choice of dishes compared to the A La Carte menu. This is part of the "deal" conditions when you book it I am afraid.

I am sorry to hear the fish was not cooked to your partner's liking in the first place. And I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy what you have ordered.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back.