“Amazing food but...”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Great atmosphere, tried & loved all the usual Caribbean dishes & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - until the end of the evening.

Imagine our young waiter had his mind more on the rest of his Saturday night but having asked for the bill & getting it he shot out the front door & disappeared only to reappear sometime later with a large bottle of something under his arm.

Now, being ignored & having to go down & find someone to take payment was annoying, but the real bugbear was finding a large tip of about 12% had been added to it. We always tip unless there was something really wrong but I do begrudge being expected to pay, & above the normal 10% at that.

I made the point when paying but did leave feeling less than impressed.

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

There is so much I could say. As a person of Caribbean upbringing it is difficult to find an establishment that can deliver something similar to “what you can get at home” or when you visit the Caribbean. So pretty authentic in my opinion. Hey

The owners have really done themselves proud in my opinion. I had visited previously and had a neutral experience a few years ago but speaking with one of the owners before I left made me feel much better about the idea of coming back.

The Team are clearly a “family” which helps to give the feel of a family run business. The service is good with an extra bit of seasoning. When it is busy the service is a bit slow however when you are attended to you get all of their attention and just the right amount of energy that makes you feel welcome and appreciated.

The food is very flavourful and others agree judging by the amount of people in the restaurant.
It is small sized restaurant so you should call ahead and reserve if you can even if dropping in last minute.
The Ital curry is a winner and goes quickly so if you have a late reservation you may be disappointed as I was on the Thursday evening when I visited. The food, service and drinks were so good, I was back two days later on a Saturday night just for the stew I missed.

I didn’t have any alcohol on my two visits in quick succession but my guests did and enjoyed the fact that you got “value for money” in the way of alcohol content (if you know, you know).

A good variety on the menu but not too much choice that you can’t decide. A good selection of vegan food too - it’s just the Ital way so different to other cuisines.

I will be back again! And I recommend to anyone looking for a Caribbean restaurant in London. Particularly being a short distance away from the Victoria line station in Brixton.

Make a visit, you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

I remember the first time I went here the very first day it opened which was for friends and family of the chef's and it was delish!
They got rid of the pumpkin rice which is a shame and the quality has alway been up to standard every time I have been.
Even tho their is a rotation of chef's the food is always good.
They had a down period where the chef they had was producing poor quality food but it was because the usual good standard I still come here.
They have since gotton a new chef who has put the standard back up!
I will always come here they have the best satlfish fritters I have tasted, the price has gone up but then everything does but I will still be coming.
I would definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

We tried a curry platter with oxtail and goat, some jerk chicken, salt fish fritters and rice. Everything was amazing and portions good. Service was a little slow and emotionless from one individual but the other made it up by being so attentive and smiley. Definitely recommend!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Fantastic food and great service. Could eat and eat and eat and eat and eat here. We will be back... SOON. Would recommend to anyone visiting Brixton Academy or the area. Go on the website and book though. Thank you
Louise and Olivia