“Best kept secret in Greenwich”
Review of Green Pea

Green Pea
Ranked #75 of 25,436 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Visited the Green Pea for the first time on Saturday, what a great place it is especially if you like pies (I do). There is a selection of meat and veggies pies all cooked to order and the very generous veg accompanying them are perfectly cooked. Tom and his team are very welcoming and the atmosphere is very friendly. Suggest a fish pie would be a welcome addition to the menu.
Are we going back? You bet we are, again and again.

1  Thank Gwenandvic

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I don’t know how to start other than THIS PLACE IS JUST SO GOOD! It is always a great joy to find a decent restaurant close to home; it is amazing to find spectacular one within walking distance of our house, and the Green Pea is wonderful. Having spent the last 25 years working around the world, I had a lot of good meals. One of the joys of a peripatetic life is exploring for great meals in new cities. I also have my own sense of what makes a great restaurant, with of course great food being the most important. The next one is hospitality that to me is the joy one gets when a great experience is provided without pretention. Finally, the chef’s love of serving a great meal. The Green Pea hits the mark in all categories.

When I get home I am quite happy to enjoy a home cooked meal and the rare visit to the take out place around the corner. Last night my wife and I decided to explore a bit further and see what we could find within a few miles. A quick search on the Internet turned up the Green Pea, a place we have passed hundreds of times without really noticing it. It shares a building with a pub that advertises 3D television, which didn’t sound conducive with a pleasant meal, so we never really paid any attention to it.
But the reviews for Green Pea sounded great so we thought we would try it. I called for reservations and found out that you need to book early. I managed to get a reservation for the next night, and that was the last one available. When we arrived it was like visiting a friendly relative one hasn’t seen for awhile. We were welcomed by name and shown to a comfortable table. Tom O’Connor, the owned, told us he would be with us in a few minutes. And he was. He came and sat down with us to tell the choices available. My wife and I decided on a fish pie and a steak and mushroom pie with red wine gravy.
I started with the steak pie. The meat was so tender you could cut it with a fork, the pastry was crisp and flakey, the sauce had just the right hint of fresh mushroom, and the red wine gave it body. That was the best meat pie I have ever eaten, hands down.
My wife was exclaiming about the fish pie. Now my wife is one of the world’s best cooks; she can deconstruct almost any dish and recreate it. She learned to cook in India and went on to add European, American and East Asian dishes to her repertoire so I pay attention to her comments. She said that the fish pie needed nothing more, the first time I ever heard her say that about any dish we have had on four continents.
We exchanged plates half way through the meal and I have to admit the fish pie was even better than the steak and mushroom. Large chunks of flavorful cod with a light white sauce and mash topping, it was the fish pie I had always dreamed of.
This was traditional British cooking taken to a new level. It was a reminder that classic pub food made fresh with the best ingredients really is great food; hard to find but worth the search.
Ok, if you have made it this far you should have read enough to be encouraged to try the Green Pea. Not only was the food superior, the service and hospitality was exactly what I want in a restaurant – welcoming, friendly, nothing was rushed and all offered with generosity and warmth. And no TV.

5  Thank Eat2njoy
Reviewed 1 April 2018

A truly remarkable restaurant – real fare from the British Isles, which is so perfectly cooked it needs no table seasonings. Tom O' Connor, who runs Green Pea with his wife, is mine host, keen to chat with diners and run them through his offerings right down to the ingredients of each dish. The carrots were sweet and cooked down to the point they still had a bite. The cabbage was more-ish despite no butter, salt or pepper. The broccoli was a brilliantly green flower with a crunch that yielded. The fish pie was spectacular. The home-made chips out of this world. The bill was small, relative to the magnificent repast. After it was all over, we understood exactly why Tom sets such store by precise bookings and manageable numbers. He believes in providing exceptional food at an affordable price rather than shoe-horning as many people as possible through the doors. We will go back again and again – with guests.

1  Thank rashmeeroshanlall
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We visited the Green Pea last weekend. The food was first class and the staff so accommodating. We had a superb meal here on the Saturday night, we asked could they fit us in for Sunday lunch and Tom and his staff did, the food was beautiful. As a rule when staying in London we like to try different restaurants each day but this place is so good we came back the next day. You have to try the Green Pea its absolutely fabulous. Thank you Tom and staff. Your fans from Buckinghamshire.

2  Thank kevinmY7183YQ
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Had seen the reviews and chanced our luck in getting a table last Saturday night as we had no reservation, but Tom looked after us magnificently and squeezed us in. The pies were great, and we got to try some of his home cooked ham too. Veg just right too. The service is very personal and every effort made to make sure you are looked after. Gravy tops ups as well!
It's a 10 min walk from Greenwich centre which is enough to build up the appetite you'll need and to walk it off after.

1  Thank Whiteontyne