“Eclectic Menu But Needs To Pick up On Service”

The Riding House Cafe
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Transit: The Riding House Cafe is located a 5 minute walk from Oxford Circus underground and a 10 minute walk from Tottenham Court Rd. The restaurant is served by numerous bus routes within a very short walk. Boris Bike bays are located on Foley St.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Met a friend here at his suggestion, it has an interesting and eclectic menu, we both went for the fried chicken with Bajan hot sauce. My friend also had a side salad but had to speak to the manager as the portion was ridiculously small and lacking in tomatoes and feta. The Albariño wine was lovely and took me back to Galicia where I have walked extensively. I really enjoyed it apart from the slow and inattentive service at times (hence only 4 stars), but I would recommend it and will be taking my wife there, who’s family are Bajan.

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank Phatbloke
Write a reviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed 30 August 2021 via mobile

Service excellent- came with my family while daughter had broken ankle. We’re able to accommodate us very nicely. Moved us inside when they saw we were cold outside. Brilliant staff- friendly- food is excellent- what’s not to love.

Reviewed 28 August 2021

Have walked past many times so decided to treat my son to lunch here. Wasn't sure whether to sit or wait to be served, so decided to wait. Tried making eye contact with 3 staff members, all looked away while we stood there, waiting. The receptionist (I think that's who she was) was on the phone. Not a problem, but it's usual to acknowledge a customer, eye contact, maybe even a smile. Something to make them feel welcome. None of this. Eventually a waiter pointed towards the telephone talking receptionist, but nothing more. There we were, like two lemons, waiting. I became increasingly uncomfortable, so we left, found somewhere else and had a lovely lunch.

2  Thank racheldJ577WG
Reviewed 28 August 2021 via mobile

Sat down, promptly told I’d have to move somewhere else because someone else might need my space. Was redirected to the pavement. Not comfortable. But most importantly it smelled strongly of dog excrement. Stupidly high price for a glass of Merlot. What a rip off! Surly unhelpful staff.
I strongly recommend against this place.

3  Thank K7889JWchrism
Reviewed 22 August 2021

I came for dinner yesterday with my partner, and it all seemed very nice until my bag disappeared inside the restaurant. We discovered that apparently, just before the drama, the staff noticed two guys seated at the bar drinking a beer that the cafe does not serve.. I wonder why they ignored it. They were targeting me (unfortunately), had the time to play their strategy and go out with my bag.. My bag was hanging on the chair under my jacket and I was laying on it with my shoulders... we were giving the back to the main bar where only staff was passing by - no customers seated - so how did these guys seat there and hang around?

Claiming to be a 'posh' and 'elegant' place means also taking care of customers and making sure the environment within the place is safe. It's not just about pretty small food and cool names on the menu - everyone can do that. , I wonder how these guys had the time to stay around while drinking a beer that the restaurant doesn't serve...

Staff should pay more attention to their customers and notice if something is not going in the right way..

2  Thank giuliarZ4786GO