“Ocean Liners”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$24.19*
and up
Ocean Liners: Speed and Style Exhibition at the...
Ranked #4 of 1,866 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The world's greatest museum of art and design.The V&A's collections are unrivalled in their diversity. Explore historical and contemporary art and design, including works of art from many of the world's richest cultures. Admission free.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I have to say that there is nothing I would hate more than a modern cruise ship holiday - sorry to Viking cruises who sponsored this really interesting exhibition currently at the V&A. But to cross the Atlantic and arrive in New York on one of the iconic, at the time very new, ocean liners would have been something else! I had not fully appreciated before how much they represented a show case for the best design of the time and a competition between nations to display their prowess. There are some beautiful advertising posters and interior designs. I was surprised to see no iconic Danish chairs till it clicked that the designs were all about nations and Denmark didn't have an ocean liner to display its art. It would have been nice to see more made of the change over from ships taking migrants in less than appealing accommodation to the later glitz of 1st class travel. There are a few pieces of crockery by Edward Bawden who the Dulwich Picture Gallery will be featuring from the end of May. Another must see!

Write a ReviewReviews (26,947)
All reviews
in 344 reviews
"centuries"
in 230 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

It has an underground passage from the underground so if it rains... it is not a problem! they often have exhibitions, wedding dresses through history, Valenciaga, etc.. and I found the space is absolutely superb! the gift shop as a huge selection of the best pieces and worth taking a look at!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

After always visiting a couple of the other museums with the children as they were growing up, there was never enough time to visit the V & A during the same trip. I first visited with a group of friends a couple of years ago. I absolutely loved it. It has a much more intimate feel to it compared with its neighbours. I visited with my children (who are now much older) on Easter Monday. I said I wouldn't be long but I'd completely forgotten how many levels there were (6). I managed to see the main areas I wanted but, I will be returning for a more leisurely wander at another time.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

In all honesty, we were planning to visit the Natural History museum, but the queues were enormous (school holidays!), so we decided to try the V&A and I’m so glad we did.

From the moment we arrived, every member of staff was super-helpful and they were genuinely enthused about helping us out, suggesting things for two under-7s to do.

We started with a treasure-hunt around the museum to try and find interesting objects and then proceeded to do a “Family Bag” called Magic Glasses, which involved visiting a specific gallery and using four or five different objects in our bag to learn about the things we were looking at - both really made what could have been a “boring” afternoon really great fun.

The museum also put on a show for the kids about a pirate adventure, lots of singing and interacting, which they loved.

I’ll definitely visit again - perhaps without the kids next time! - so I can spend a bit more time looking at some of the exhibits...