“Lovely to see the dresses of Diana.....”
Review of Kensington Palace

Kensington Palace Entrance Ticket
Ranked #349 of 1,812 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Once the favored home of kings and queens, this royal residence, redesigned by Christopher Wren for William and Mary in 1689, was home to Princess Diana, and today features the Court Dress collection.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked online ahead of time, so saved queueing and I highly recommend this. Make sure you go on the official Kensington Palace website as that is the best price, we paid £14.40 each.

I would have liked to have seen more dresses but that said, many of them were highly recognisable from her life in the spotlight and some nice explanations.

As part of the tour, there was Victoria Revealed which takes you through the part of the Palace she lived as a child prior to becoming queen. There was a tour guide but her information was not always too accurate and we gave up on her, preferring to rely on the written info.

Pretty garden outside, ubiquitous gift shop (full of over priced tat) good tea room if you are parched.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,369)
All reviews
in 158 reviews
"gift shop"
in 129 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

While in London, we (ok, mostly me) had to visit Kensington Palace. The thought of walking in the footsteps of the Royals was so surreal. I was amazed at the beautiful details, the carvings, the sheer height of the doors and ceilings, the beauty of thos palace!
As a fan of the show Victoria, I loved seeing the exhibit on her and Albert. And let's not forget Diana...the stunning outfits, and the beautiful pictures of her!
This was one experience I will always remember!
Even my husband and our teenager enjoyed their visit.

1  Thank Kelly V
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my first visit to a castle and it was a lovely castle. However, it was not as grand as what I would expect a castle would be like.

Thank Mr. John L
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am really sorry to say that it was disappointing: the tour of the royal rooms is interesting and the views from the windows remarkable even on a grey and cold day; the brief explanations in the different rooms are clear and informative, but it felt like the public are going through that just to lengthen the time they are actually in the palace. Unfortunately the exhibition of the dresses is too small and the number of items on display too little. The dresses are beautifully presented, but the rooms are quite small and get busy very quickly, we couldn't believe how soon it came to an end. I know it might sound childish, but we were very surprised that her wedding gown wasn't on display for example.
To be fully honest it wasn't worth the cost of the ticket. It has been publicised as an exhibition of the princess' dresses, but I think that is a little misleading as her dresses were just a small part of the visit.
I am afraid that, if I was asked whether the exhibition is worth a visit, I would say that it is not.

1  Thank 914monica
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Second time here - the first was in 2010. So much has improved since then. First of all, they now allow visitors to take photos in the palace - that was a thrill with the Princess Diana exhibit. On my earlier visit during the Enchanted Palace installation, I'd really wanted photos of the fantasy elements, and it wasn't to be. There's now a well-designed area for queueing up and buying tickets. I recommend the London Card so you can skip the longer line.

The State Apartments now have a few mannequins scattered throughout wearing period costumes, some original, some recreations which is pretty cool. The wardens are really informative and entertaining, which is a bonus for people who haven't visited before. The King's Staircase, surrounded by monumental murals, is now open to the public, so it was a wonderful experience being able to walk up those stairs and imagine seeing the ruler in similar circumstances way back when.

The way that visitor circulation has been re-routed throughout the State Apartments and exhibition space has been carefully thought out, so my hat is off to the staff of Historic Royal Palaces for thinking about these kind of issues. It's hard to remember that this is a working office for members of the Royal family, and that their homes are just beyond walls that visitors can't pass. The way that the needs of the visiting public have been balanced out with the needs of the firm is to be commended.

The redesign of the gift store is just phenomenal. The range of merchandise at all price points is great, and although there are certain things that one sees at every heritage location (Victoria and Albert felt Xmas ornaments), the products brought in to evoke each individual palace are well thought out. The books to accompany exhibits, as well as the souvenir guide books, are at good price points and won't break the bank for someone who wants more than a pamphlet. I was really impressed by the public programs that HRP puts on. As an art educator, I look to see what other institutions do for different age levels, and HRP has nailed it with a variety of activities for all ages - some can be done while on an average visit, and others to be booked in advance. If I have time on my next London visit, I wouldn't hesitate to return to Kensington Palace. The gardens, the architecture - it's not overwhelming like some French palaces. Because of the sheer normality of the scale of the palace, you can understand why the young Queen Victoria considered the place her prison as a little girl. You're not overwhelmed by the size of most rooms and can even imagine yourself living in some of those spaces. It reflects the English values of a constitutional monarch with buildings that reflect that, rather than a Versailles complex meant to radiate the authority of an absolute monarch. I'll take human every time.

1  Thank Soli-77