“Family visit to watch both parts one after another”

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child
Ranked #38 of 384 Concerts & Shows in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I bought tickets 9 months ago. So excited to see this with my family and grandparents. You must watch the films or read the books beforehand to understand the plot. The effects were amazing. Very dark though and had to keep eating and drinking to keep my eyes open as easily fall asleep in the dark! We watched part one then we ate out at The Ivy which is around the corner and then came back to watch part two. Plenty of places to eat nearby suitable for a variation of budgets. The theatre is very old - the chairs aren't 100 percent comfortable so you will shift around a lot! Food and drink inside is expensive but that's normal for London. Would I recommend? Yes!

1  Thank jessica486
in 9 reviews
"grand circle"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We managed to upgrade our tickets to the stalls...amazing view and well worth the extra money.

Part one on Thursday 29th March and Part two on Friday 30th March.

Actors were all very good. I won’t criticise any of them and I especially won’t compare them to the movie actors as it’s not a movie!

Favourite part was brilliantly played by Samuel Blenkin as Scorpius Malfoy. Made me laugh out loud multiple times. James Howard was also exceptional as Draco. The interactions between him and Harry were very heart warming as the story progressed.

One thing I will mention in a negative light was the use of Ron’s character. I feel he was made to look like a bit of a joke and an after thought. Nothing against the actor portraying him. I guess it’s a slight dig at the writing. But just a personal view.

The effects were truly amazing. I won’t mention anything (#keepthesecrets), but I was blown away by it all.

The story was solid and easy to follow. The flashbacks were also a nice touch.

The theatre itself was a brilliant setting for it. Plenty of leg room (I’m 6 foot tall) and comfy seats. Bar staff were welcoming and helpful. As were all the other staff. I recommend preordering the interval drinks.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The bomb dot com. Amazing cast and acting ability. Amazing ambience full of Potter fans of all ages!! Good location to get to and fast lines to get into the theatre. The concession stand was a bit pricy but this is Central London after all.... the staff were top-notch and would definitely recommend seeing the play whether you are/not a fan of the books or movies!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I am a huge fan of HP and read the script got Cursed Child before going to see the play - the play is definitely better seen rather than read

Positives
- special effects are amazing; possibly the best I’ve seen (dementors, polyjuice and transfiguration live on stage = incredible!)
- most of the acting is great - Scorpius Malfoy stole the show in my opinion (other really good actors: Hermione, Ron and Mertyl)
- play is funny and poignant

Negatives
- sometimes the acting is a bit hammy or am-dram
- Some strange dance sequences don’t really work
- Plot isn’t great - it doesn’t really fit with the characters, there are a few holes and loose ends
- unnecessarily long!

We watched it over two days - one would have been too intense even for this HP fan girl!
Recommend knowing the story prior to visiting - it’s not essential but some plots and nuances would be hard to follow without background

Theatre is beautiful and souvenir shop is cool

2  Thank sarah d
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I was thrilled when I purchased one of the best seats in the stall to see the show, both parts on the same day. I went with excitement and huge anticipation. Looking back, I should have read the reviews first! Two minutes into the show, I was perplexed. By half time of Part One, I was disappointed. During Part Two, I was bored and felt tired, wondering if I should get up and exit.

I share the following points with fellow reviewers:

1. Weak story line, dull. No surprise, no punch. Story went on way too long.

2. Wooden acting and poor casting. Scorpio Malfoy was played by a middle-aged man. The Actress who played Ginny was almost annoying, shouting and marching through the stage every time she appeared. Harry Potter featured two different actors, both wooden.

3. My largest criticism, however, is that Hermione Granger, a red-haired, intensely sharp and extremely smart and brave, a soul character of Happy Potter stories, with a well-established image, was played by a black lady?! Why? Is this a diversity issue that a black actor should or must be casted? I can’t describe how disappointed I was! (Apologies if this view point offends some people.)

4. Uncomfortable seating, as in almost all west-end theaters, making 5 hours unbearable.

The only good comment I could give, sadly, was the dementors - loved how they eerily drifted overhead across the theatre.

7  Thank JacquelynJ66