“great location average food”
Review of Chung Ku

Chung Ku
Ranked #403 of 1,881 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Overlooking the water and well appointed Chung Ku is a lovely place. However the food was just average dont think we would return.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Very disappointed, booked 5 weeks prior to my nephews 21st birthday celebration and brother in laws 50th birthday. Meal was booked for 7 clock for 9 people the table was not ready they said and we had to sit in the cold foyer without any service or drinks. My father had just had a triple heart by pass and didn’t want to miss the occasion he was left freezing in the foyer. We spoke to them on numerous occasions asking when the table would be ready but kept getting fobbed off. They had obviously over booked the foyer was packed however tables of 4 who had walked off the street with no booking got a table before us. We decided after a long wait in the cold to ring the tai pan not our ideal choice but without any other option we all had to make our way to the tai pan to try and make the most of a terrible disappointed experience. The staff where not apologetic at all and down right rude. A real let down and it spoilt my nephews and brother in laws celebrations. Shame on you.

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

Visited for Mother’s Day meal with an 8pm booking. When we had finished our meals, it was about 9:20 pm (restaurant closes at 10pm)
Staff rushed us to make pudding choices. I ordered my favourite banana fritter. The waiter came back a little later and said there were no fritters left.
He continued to say nothing on the rear of the menu was available. It was clear to us they just didn’t want to serve us as it was getting close to closing.
This is not acceptable from a restaurant and we felt rushed and forced out before we were really ready.
A very disappointing visit and I would think twice about booking any time after 8pm !!

Reviewed March 11, 2018 via mobile

Food is bland and quite overpriced for the quality and quantity that you get. Waiters are never smiling to guests and look rather miserable, something which creates an unpleasant atmosphere to dine in. What spoiled it mostly for us however, was the fact that our waiter actually tried to bully us into paying a larger tip!!!
When we received our bill (not a proper receipt, but merely a handwritten piece of paper which we all struggled to read!!!) we noticed that they had already added a £15 service charge to our bill.
Paying the full customary 10% service charge is something I'm willing to do only when I feel 100% happy with my meal, service and overall dinning experience.
In this case, although we weren't very impressed, we still decided to leave them a £5 tip anyway. When the waiter realised that we are not tipping them £15 but instead £5, she was extremely rude about it and asked us to explain why we are not willing to pay the full tip they had added to our bill.
We simply explained (even though it felt surreal having to do so) that we feel £15 is too high a tip and that we felt £5 to be more appropriate.

If I can also leave a 'tip' for the management team of this place:

You should first make sure you provide 100% excellent customer service, coupled with 100% excellent food quality, before expecting 100% of the tip. Even then, if your customers for whatever reason, do not wish to leave you a tip it's their right to do so, you can neither force them nor bully them into doing so.

Needless to say we are not going back ever again.

2  Thank Travel-Lover2004
Reviewed March 6, 2018

As many people have commented, the restaurant has plentiful parking and is in a great position. We had driven past many times and after reading the many fab reviews on here we decided to give it a go
The resaurant was very busy and we were shown to a window side table and were prepared for a wonderful evening meal.... my vegetable spring roll starters had hardly any filling at all inside and were thick and hard. The main meal was pretty tasteless and the salt and pepper chips tasted and looked as though they had been warmed up all day. The pork dish that one of our party ordered was more like gammon (I know it comes from the same animal but its a different cut) and the beef roll starters were filled with beansprouts a (and a hint of beef) where previously they have been filled with spring onion.
The service wasn't too bad given that is was so busy although I had my glass filled with ice in the two drinks I ordered when specifically asking for no ice...a small detail but still.....
We may have picked a bad night or just been unlucky in what we ordered but we will not return.