“Second rate. I'll stick to the original 1884.”

1884 Wine And Tapas Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
1884 Wine And Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Was really disappointed with my visit to 1884 Wine & Tapas as I have been to their sister restaurant on the other side of the marina on numerous occasions and would thoroughly recommend however, 1884 Wine & Tapas - not so.

The service was substandard and when you're paying top restaurant prices you expect top restaurant service to match. There were several reasons for this which include; not being offered any water for the table, not being asked if we would like anymore drinks throughout our meal, the tapas came out in dribs and drabs and my salad was riddled in olives when the menu didn't state it had olives in it and had to be sent back.

The portions were hearty however, when you're paying £8 for a portion of potatoes they should be! The cocktails are ridiculously overpriced and when it's £10 a pop you feel like you should be getting something special, mine however, tasted watered down and bland.

Overall; over priced, substandard service and mediocre food. Will not be visiting again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you love Ed Sheehan, poor service and substandard food and drink - Take a trip to 1884 Tapas.

I love 1884 on the opposite side of the marina, but 1884 tapas is inferior in comparison. My girlfriend picked a cocktail to begin: a watery strawberry number which was unflavoured; I had a beer and we wasn’t offered table water. In the background, an Ed Sheehan number floated in the air.

We ordered and meals arrived... slowly. Painfully slow. We both like different dishes so my girlfriends first dish, patatas braves, arrived first and it took another 10 minutes for her other dishes to arrive. I understand that tapas is meant to be a relaxed dining experience, but eating potatoes for 10 minutes is hardly a thrilling dining experience. In the background, another Ed number filled the restaurant.

Finally, the rest of our meal arrived. But, it was substandard. The salads were soaked in a dressing which conflicted with the tapas dish ordered. My girlfriends salad had to be returned because it was littered in olives - despite the fact this wasn’t stated on the menu. And, guess what: another Ed Sheehan song played in the background.

Overall, it was a very disappointing dining experience. I left filled with 16 Ed Sheeran songs and bog standard food.

Tips for the future: don’t soak the salads in odd dressings; make sure the menu reflects the food you advertise; and move your Spotify playlist off Ed Sheehan’s greatest hits!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We came here for a lite lunch, good service and good food. Decor is really nice along with the outside seating area for summer right on the mariner side well worth a visit..

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was our first visit here and it was just me and my husband for his birthday. We have friends who have visited and who have highly recommended so we had no worries about what the quality of the food would be like, although we didn’t really know what to expect and the night we visited was the first night of a new menu.

We arrived early but were told we could go straight to our table if we wanted, which we did. There was a lovely bustling atmosphere but not overly noisy. We ordered drinks while we looked at the menu and these were brought promptly. We were spoiled for choice so we decided to go for the set price menu which sounded like excellent value given the prices for individual items.

When the food started arriving we couldn’t get through one plate before the next 2 or 3 arrived so we asked if this could be slowed down and this was definitely taken on board. There was a wide variety of food brought to us and although portions didn’t look very big at the time (yes, I know it’s tapas and they’re not supposed to be huge) we were comfortably full by the end and didn’t have room for dessert. We lost count as to whether there were 10 or 11 different items brought to us!

We had a lovely evening here and didn’t feel pressured to be leaving the table by any particular time. Staff were friendly and explained what each plate of food was as they brought it. If I had to raise a negative point it would be that when the piped music was turned off and replaced with a live guitarist we couldn’t hear him where we were sitting. However, this didn’t detract from what was a very enjoyable evening. We would definitely recommend visiting and will be returning in the future.

Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

We had reserved a table for lunch but delayed an hour on the road. We rang through to explain and they helpfully held our reservation. The meal was fabulous with a good selection of food and wines. Service was attentive and courteous. Parking is easy. Location is spectacular. This is a MUST visit place in Hull. We will be back.