“Excellent week-end fine lunch”
Review of Lords of the Manor

Lords of the Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Lords of the Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$102 - US$119
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A great experience. The building and the estate are stunning - when the weather is good it is a must to wander in the estate and back gardens. The décor of the restaurant itself is refined, if a bit understated - at least there is no faux-pas there.

The food is undoubtedly worth a Michelin star - I wasn't expecting something so refined and so good, to be honest. I was very impressed and same for my girlfriend. The photos speak for themselves, both the presentation and the taste of the food were outstanding. We had the week-end lunch menu, which changes very often. I started with an impressively square veal carpaccio then had a truffle and aged parmesan risotto ad then the dessert (cannot remember how it's called but very good as well). The risotto was marvellous: even without the truffle the aged parmesan and more common mushrooms would have made it excellent, but of course with the truffle it was even better.
The sommelier was also very appreciated, advising very interesting wine such as a Portuguese red for me. Wines were priced fairly for a place like this.

The 3-courses was priced around £38 (+10 extra for the truffle risotto) - which is a great value for what you get. Of course with an aperitif (champagne) and a few glasses of wine you end up around £120 or £130£ for two, but I don't regret it at all. And if you are more reasonable on the extras it stays reasonably priced. Again the menu itself is very good value for money, I'd advise anyone, with or without experience of high-end restaurants, to give it a go.

The staff even went the extra mile: I forgot my hat there and couldn't come back before going back to London, so they sent it back to my home, very nicely packaged and protected. Both during and after the meal, staff was both friendly and professional - a great mix!

Should I really specify that if I ever go back to the area I'll make sure I'll stop by?

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Having a drive across the Cotswolds is a very lovely experience with those lovely villages built on light stone and this restaurant is in Upper Slaughter one of the prettiest villages in the area. The restaurant is based in a very picturesque hotel traditional from the Cotswolds in stone and it is a fine dinning restaurant with good service and a decent value for money lunch menu. It was not exceptional but overall it was very good, a bit expensive when you add all, but certainly a very pleasant culinary experience

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We returned on a complimentary visit after my disastrous birthday in November where the water was freezing cold during my stay making bathing/showering very uncomfortable. This time we were given room 16 which was spacious with a lovely view of the gardens and very pleasant. Again breakfast was very pleasant. The staff were very courteous and helpful. We did not dine this time as we were not given any discount. A little short slighted of the management as for a small discount they would have had our dinner, wine and drinks income.
As I said this hotel is ideally situated and very pleasant. Just check the temperature of the water before unpacking. I would still have to think before rebooking if I could be assured of hot water.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had thetasting menu it was inventive and tastefull.
The wine flight was also excellent. The staff were friendly and professional.

Reviewed March 13, 2018

We arrived just after the recent bad snowy weather had started to thaw. The hotel had received many cancellations because the snowdrifts made it difficult to reach the hotel by car. We were the only people who made it for lunch . In spite of the lack of guests at the hotel we would that the service could have been better, especially in the finer details. For example, the entrance to the hotel from the car park was still icy and my wife as well as another person in our party of four almost slipped on the thawing ice. Nothing serious happened but I did find it strange that the hotel had not put more salt on the ice. When we got to the bar and ordered our drinks I was surprised that no nibbles, free or otherwise, were offered or even suggested by the barman. We had the whole restaurant to ourselves. The hors d'oeuvres were fine and the first course and the pudding were very good. However, we were disappointed with the traditional roast beef, which frankly is not too difficult to make. We were not asked how we wanted the beef cooked, so all three people received the same rare beef. Again, this is a small complaint but one person in our party does not like eating rare beef and frankly it is almost normal now in any half decent restaurant to be asked how people want their beef cooked. The Yorkshire pudding was an embarrassment as it was overcooked, so it tasted of card-board. The roast potatoes seemed to have been deep fried a number of times as the skin was covered in some sort of batter which made it difficult to cut. Two people in our party did not touch the Yorkshire pudding and the roast potatoes. Yet, the cauliflower and carrots were done to perfection. The bread was also good and the two types of butter served with it were delicious. Bizarrely, there was no salt or pepper mill on the table. With an almost empty hotel, when it came to having coffee at the end of the meal our waiter did not suggest that we take in the lounge, which again I thought was a bit strange.
The set meal was £138 per person, which I consider to be good value if the above aberrations had not occurred. I certainly enjoyed the hors d'oeuvres, the first course and pudding, but I still cannot understand how the Chef could have got the roast beef, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding so wrong. The staff in the bar and restaurant were friendly and efficient. In addition, Dana at reception kept me informed about the weather.
We have always liked eating at this hotel, even though it was over 10 years since we had last visited the hotel. I was looking forward to the meal but in the end was disappointed by the main course. We will return to the hotel eventually but it will take some time before I can forget the hard roast potatoes, the card-board Yorkshire, and the rare beef together with all the small details that make all the difference to having a memorable Sunday lunch.