“Dogs welcome”

Ranked #4 of 10 Shopping in Cirencester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 31 May 2017

This bookshop is a real gem. We could have spent hours there since the owners made us feel so welcome and the selection of books was superb. The lady (I'm guessing Octavia) was very knowledgeable about kid's books and had plenty of suggestions. Plus our beloved dog was welcome. What else could I ask for?

All reviews
in 2 reviews
"marshmallows"
"child"

Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

I recently called into Octavia's Book Shop in Cirencester Calital of the Cotswolds

Tucked halfway down Black Jack street in this sleepy country town you could be forgiven for not knowing about this little gem, but once you known, you cannot be forgiven for not paying a visit.

Opening five years ago amidst the depression of the recession, Octavia's specialises in children's books and started gaining recognition almost immediately. Having now won numerous local and national awards - including being named Independent Book Seller of the year in 2013.

Stepping inside Octavia's is like stepping into another world. Like the magic doors to Narnia the shopper is transported to a magical place, the shelves overflow with rabbits and wizards, spotty nosed monsters and white rabbits, Red Queens and Greek gods beckon readers young and old. Dedicated reading spaces tempt you to put your feet up and dive right in to whatever book takes your fancy.

I cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful shop, every town should have a shop just like it and every child should be able to lose themselves amidst shelves just like theirs. Octavia's may be a children's bookshop but for bug kids like me there's magic to behold and wonderment to be found.

I promise you that if you visit once you'll be back again, in an ever more complicated world Octavia's is a place to remember the magic of books and just how far you can go just by turning the next page!

Reviewed 1 August 2016

Warm welcome to a coloured paradise! Grandchildren were enchanted and found the story books they wanted from a helpful enthusiastic owner! Children were encouraged to look and talk about their favourite stories and the marshmallow treat was very much enjoyed and remembered! Can we return to Octavia's again!!

Reviewed 19 May 2016

When you step into the little purple show, you a greeted with a friendly, polite hello, from the owner. Mainly aimed at young children, this shop has an abundance of Moomin toys, books for children, carefully shelved in all age groups. Comfy cushions and chairs for you to sit and read. There is also a section of young adults and a grownups too.Each shelf has little recommendations, stuck to them about books worth reading.I know that I will be spending a lot of my time chosing and browsing books there in the future, becuase octavia's has a way to tempt every bookworm back, a loyalty card, you collect 9 stamps, and recive your 10th book free.
I've been telling everyone I know about this little gem, on Blackjack Street. And now I want to share it with you.