“Tiny portions”
Review of The White Spoon

The White Spoon
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Spoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$16 - US$54
Description: The White Spoon is a restaurant born from the ambition and commitment of our Chef Director, Chris White. It is a relaxed dining experience where you can expect to see dishes that showcase individual ingredients, each elevated, using modern techniques, into something truly exciting, without losing their original charm.
Reviewed August 17, 2017

Lovely restaurant generally. My only complaint is the portion sizing. Two of us ate a fish dish and the portion size of the whole plate was tiny to the point of being very mean. A 3" square of fish with two miniscule broccoli florets and play hunt the potato mini cube! After eating two courses, I went home and made a sandwich! (Note: I am a slim lady with a normal appetite). The other dishes for the rest of our party were similarly sized. I don't expect to pay good money to still feel hungry afterwards. I have been to many other fine dining restaurants locally who serve appropriate portion sizes. It is unlikely that I shall return unless they review this.

1  Thank VICTORIA O
Spoons80, Owner at The White Spoon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking time to review us and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall experience.

With regard to our portion size, we design our menu and the size of our dishes are designed to ensure our customers can enjoy three courses comfortably. However, the chef will be sure to review your comments and make any necessary adjustments.

We hope, with this in mind, that you will return again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The White Spoon

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

After hearing great things we decided to visit! The service was excellent, friendly staff. The food however just doesn't hit the mark. We found the flavours subtle and bordering on bland. Like most eateries in Cheltenham, a little disappointing.

Spoons80, Owner at The White Spoon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are so pleased to hear your positive feedback on the service but disappointed with your views on the food.

Unfortunately, you decided not to share these with us on the evening when we could have responded and perhaps have investigated to whether we needed to act on this going forward.

It is a shame that you don't seem to like any of the independents in Cheltenham! We have a fantastic indie scene in our town, of which all Cheltonians should be very proud of. Feedback is really important to all of us, its the only way we improve. However, that is if it is constructive and made in the right way.

If you would like to make any further, more detailed comments, please feel free to contact us directly on general@thewhitespoon.co.uk

Reviewed August 16, 2017

We arrived at noon for Sunday lunch and the restaurant was quiet. Not for long though. The service was excellent and the roast beef and yourkshire pudding was perfectly cooked. Probably the best Sunday Lunch I've had in a very long time! I look forward to returning.

Reviewed July 25, 2017

Amazing! I had the lobster with avocado, watermelon and honey and mustard and it was divine. My friend has the confit of ling with razor clams and pickled kohlrabi and the fact that neither of us barely spoke during that course says it all! As it was Sunday lunch I opted for the roast beef which was delicious, the beef was sublime and the most wonderful gravy (anyone who knows me will know this is the decider). Pudding however went beyond all expectations - chocolate tart with hazelnuts and ice cream, simply divine. The staff are lovely and although attentive they are not intrusive - perfect. As both of us were driving then it was only a glass of Prosecco but the wine list looked really good. I'll have to go back just to sample one or three. Hopefully it will be sooner than later that I return.

Reviewed July 25, 2017

Visited The White Spoon for a Sunday roast and it was honestly the best roast dinner I've ever had - in every way! The service was also fantastic. The owner should be very proud.