“Wonderful evening meal after a day out in Cheltenham.”
Review of Koj

Ranked #17 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$14 - US$41
Description: New restaurant and cocktail bar in Cheltenham by MasterChef finalist Koj. #NOsushi, just tasty Japanese grazing dishes. Our bar, Kampai, is also open, serving Japanese beers, cocktails, whisky, sake and shochu.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Tried this japanese restaurant and absolutely enjoyed the new experience. Loved the food, very helpful and friendly staff. We enjoyed a real mixture from the menu and drinks at the bar. Definately going again when in Cheltenham. Art work amazing. Shame one not nearer our home.

3  Thank abbeyfield4gl
KojCheltenham, Owner at Koj, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you. Delighted to hear you enjoyed it and we're pleased and flattered that you found us on your visit to Cheltenham. We hope to see you again when you are next in Cheltenham.

Koj

There are newer reviews for Koj

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

we went early evening on Saturday having booked as it gets v busy, understandably so.
The waiting staff were really helpful in making suggestions as to how we tackle the menu which although is not extensive offers plenty of choices. The food was first-class excellent tastes and textures. Prices offer good value for such quality and the house wine was very reasonable and good. After eating we had a cocktail in the upstairs bar, Arther mixes a mean cocktail and will devise one for you if you tell him what you like.

1  Thank William L
KojCheltenham, Owner at Koj, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you William. We enjoyed meeting you and were very pleased that you retired upstairs to extend your evening with Arthur in our cocktail bar. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

So this is officially my favourite restaurant in Cheltenham (we have been to a fair few as well), and I had a feeling in might be. I have been wanting to go here for months however it's always been fully booked! Luckily we managed to get a reservation for my birthday and it was worth the wait.

The atmosphere was so lovely and the food was out of this world. I say that because not only was it delicious but it was so different to your usual meal out. Are you bored of just ordering that pasta or curry dish that you always order when you go out to eat (yes we can all agree it's your go to meal but we know it's time to change it up a bit)? Well then this is certainly the place for you as you will step out of your comfort zone, but you won't be disappointed.

We arrived and as we sat down I was surprised with a lovely glass of prosecco, complimentary as they had been informed it was my birthday! Everyone will want to order different dishes, but just to give you an idea of what we ordered and loved- the salmon sashimi, pickled shitake, pork belly bun, soft shell crab bun, squid okonomiyaki, koj fried chicken and garlic rice. I couldn't tell you which was my favourite because it was all amazing! Although, I was greedy enough to order another soft shell crab bun after, so that one was definitely a winner. I would recommend going for a cocktail while you are there, I tried one with bees pollen in it!

Andrew Kojima and the team have definitely tapped into the 'unmet needs' market in Cheltenham by opening this restaurant- and absolutely outdone themselves. We will be back without a doubt and we cannot wait for our next great experience at Koj!

2  Thank ShahaniAJ
KojCheltenham, Owner at Koj, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with us and glad it was worth the wait. Hope you'll be back before your next birthday!

There's a time and a place for ordering a favourite pasta or curry dish and enjoying the experience of not having to do the cooking yourself, but we do pride ourselves on offering something a bit different, not just in Cheltenham, but a different take on Japanese food in the UK altogether.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review - it means a lot to us to hear from you and that you recommend us to other Tripadvisor users.

Reviewed August 14, 2017

I met a friend here for a catch up dinner last week and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. The space is fresh and inviting and in a great central location.. close to theatre shops etc. We started with a delicious cocktail whilst making our dinner choices. The menu offered ample variety without being overwhelming. The tasting dishes, grazing dishes, buns and little puddings were all delicious and most importantly, refreshingly different! The staff were attentive and friendly and the general ambience was spot on. Thanks team Koj for an exceptional dinner. We'll be back!

Reviewed August 10, 2017

What a great place. I had an early dinner here on Saturday, and I have to admit I ate a lot of the menu. A. As I'm greedy, B. Everything on there looked great. I've read other reviews saying that it's expensive - it's not, they must be comparing it with Greggs or something. Anyone can go online and look for themselves at the cost, 5 quid for a bun with some amazing fillings is incredible value, the drinks are really well priced, no rip-off markups on the wine.

The food - as i said I ate a lot of stuff! The Lamb bun was my favourite - off the charts good. I'm a big lover of tataki too, so i had to have a couple of portions of beef tataki which was great with the little beetroots.

Really great food and service, and although it was just my wife and i, i'd happlly take the kids there too - i'm sure they would love it.

The mini dessert concept is great too - you can order a couple of dishes you want to try without looking like an abolute bloater. Again, stupidly cheap at about 3 quid.

My other love is Japanese Whisky, and they have a great selection, it was nice to be able to retire upstairs after the meal and have a whisly in the bar in a nice comfy chair.

It's great to have a place like this in Cheltenham, realy great addition and somewhere that stands out.

2  Thank Jgriffin599