“Not normally my kind of place but friendly welcome and excellent food!”
Review of Ye Olde Bell Inn

Ye Olde Bell Inn
Ranked #61 of 114 Restaurants in Rye
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Very quaint looking place from the outside but inside it is very much a "local" with invasive gaming machine near the loos. However, the landlord and his staff were totally welcoming and friendly. There is an extensive menu of apparently home cooked food and the amount of people eating seems to bear out its reputation. I chose Chilli and Chips, my friend had Penne Pasta. Both were massive platefuls. I didnt think I would manage mine but it was so good, I did. Excellent value at just under 11 pounds each dish. Comfortable and warm and would definitely recommend the food.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Visited here previously and had a pleasant experience, not this time. No card payments, which wasn’t too much of an issue as it quite retro. However, the dreadful selection of drinks was the range that you may have expected in the mid 90’s. The oldest pub in Rye it may be, but this really was a step back in time.

Nowhere to sit as every table was labelled that it was only for dining between 12 and 4.

This made us feel very unwelcome as we perched at the bar. The majority of these tables were also empty.

The toilets were also rancid. Staff were actually friendly but I won’t be returning here.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I would like to say I loved this visit but there are several things that I found odd.

Not a welcoming pub. We have been to many English pubs where the moment you approach the bar, you feel like you have known the owners/staff right away. Here, one need to try really hard to make the lady at the counter smile.

They do not accept card payments. I don't know why.

The ambience and decoration inside (in the evening) could be much better. It is a beautiful pub -- it just needs a bit more soul into it to fit into the historic location where it is located.

The good things:

The house red wine is not too bad. £4/small glass

We ordered the cheese plate. The lovely man who served was adorable, friendly and very attentive! The cheese plate is good for two people. Nicely presented. Although I am unsure why there were 3 packs of butter, sliced onions that affected the taste of some of the cheese and a slice of tomato on the board. There was also... Dairylea (???) on the plate - or something that looks like a triangular soft cheese that one brings to school. I love the Stilton that was served. Overall, an interesting plate.

Will I come back to this place? Maybe...
I saw what the other people around us ordered. They looked good so maybe we ordered the wrong plate.

Hope they will be friendlier next time...

Reviewed 10 March 2018

A beautiful old pub, with lovely outside space . It was a warm day so we sat outside, under the shade of the wisteria. I ordered a ploughmans and our food was delivered promtly. presentation was good as was the taste. Only downside was constantly having to protect our lunch from a very devious Seagull. Will visit again in summer.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

In Rye, why not visit the Oldest Pub !!!! well, here is why :
A Cold wet Monday Lunchtime in and almost deserted Rye in February ....let's pop into this old Pub for a drink, around 12.30.
3 or 4 people sitting at a Table near the door. No sign of Bar Staff but signs on ALL Other Tables .... Reserved for Food Service Only 12.00 / 4.00 !!! .... The place was EMPTY ....we turned around and left.