“no incentive to pay admission price”
Review of Jerwood Gallery

Jerwood Gallery
Ranked #14 of 71 things to do in Hastings
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated next to the historic fishing beach in Hastings’ picturesque Old Town, the award winning Jerwood Gallery is home to the Jerwood Collection of 20th and 21st century British art, and a diverse temporary exhibition programme.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Twice we have visited thinking we might go in but both times the then-current exhibition was not something we wanted to see. There seems to be a permanent collection but we could not find out unless we paid the £8/£9 entrance charge (cheaper for locals, free for children). A pity. It is a highly attractive building in a splendid seafront location, with a small but stylish shop. Maybe next time? We spent the money instead enjoying Hastings' iconic meal of fish & chips.

All reviews
"lovely space"
"interesting art"
"excellent cafe"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful collection of artworks and various exhibitions throughout the year. Good central location. I did find on my visit several of the staff were very loud and vocal when talking almost shouting to each other which was annoying when viewing art in a quiet gallery

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We spent a couple of hours on Sunday in the gallery. The children (under 10) get in free and they have an activity sheet for each room in the gallery. They were captivated and were so happy drawing, writing and viewing. A great afternoon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a wonderful surprise to find the Jerwood Gallery in Hastings.
Costs £9.00 per adult to enter in March 2018.
Great and very varied display of various forms of art, fantastic.
Small cafe upstairs overlooking the fisherman’s beach, delicious food.
If you enjoy art then this is definitely somewhere that you need to visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 6, 2018

We both enjoyed the exhibition, it was very unusual, with paintings which were very interesting to my 14yr-old daughter with poignant, often dark, detail. It's very expensive for a small gallery and if we didn't get a locals' discount we would certainly not be able to go more than once. But I would never, ever go to the Jerwood without factoring in some time to relax in the cafe. This is the place with, in my opinion, probably the best sea views in the town combined with absolutely the best food. It's fresh, beautifully cooked and arranged, and just absolutely delicious. I don't know how much longer serving on boards and slates is going to be trendy, but I would quite frankly eat it off the table, it's so good, I would eat here every day if I could. My daughter had the beefburger which was perfect, and I had the goats cheese on mushrooms, with salad leaves and sweet tomato relish and tiny chips which was sublime.