“Ruined a birthday family meal”
Review of Shelter Hall

Shelter Hall
Get food delivered
Ranked #233 of 1,201 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Description: Shelter Hall is Brighton's seafront food market and bar. Featuring seven unique kitchen led by Sussex chefs, well-stocked bar featuring local craft beers, wines by the glass and expertly mixed cocktails, and a weekly line-up of live music.
Reviewed 16 June 2021

There are so many great things about Shelter Hall - loved location, venue & food choices however whole evening ruined by their no under 18s policy post 8pm. So we had the bouncers standing over us until we finished our food & drink - totally ruined a birthday family meal out. I booked from 7 till 9 at no point on the Web, at booking or when we were seated were we told of this policy. If we had we would have eaten earlier or chosen somewhere more family orientated ( & my kids are 14 & 16 so not running around). Please make sure any families booking are aware so they don't have the same unpleasant ending to their meal as us. Will think twice about returning with friends & definitely not family when there are so many other great restaurants.

Date of visit: June 2021
Shelter Hall, Marketing at Shelter Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

I'm really sorry to hear that your experience was so disappointing. It is listed on our bookings page that kids are welcome with a guardian before 8pm, but I appreciate that this is easy to miss and it's unacceptable that you were not informed when you sat down. We are looking at our under 18's policy as we continue to adapt our offering. Could you please email me on hello@shelterhall.co.uk, as I would love the opportunity to deliver a better experience for you.

Write a reviewReviews (105)

Reviewed 16 June 2021

In particular Ox Block menu was excellent. The food was cooked perfectly and exactly as requested. I was pleasantly surprised by the value for money too, cheaper than I expected and would have paid more - this added to my overall positive experience.
Highly recommend

Reviewed 14 June 2021 via mobile

Great food, 9 providers, good selection of drinks(love the Asahi beer) Delivered at the right temperature to eat. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 June 2021 via mobile

Wonderful huge clean quirky venue with lovely friendly attentive staff and a nice selection of beers and wines.

Downside the food!!!! We ate at Pan by Lost Boys Chicken had 2 buffalo chicken burgers and the bbq loaded fries. The burgers were delicious coated in lashings of buffalo and blue cheese sauce. They looked and tasted great but the chicken amount was so small it was mainly bread lettuce crunchy coating with lashings of sauce. The Lost Boys Chicken burgers used to be spectacular now they are all sauce with hardly any filling so a little bit disappointing. My suggestion would be charge more and put a decent amount of bird in them just like they used to be. I used to rave on about Lost Boys Chicken and how great they were, I'd take all my friends and family when I could but now I'm thinking that it's not so great. Sad day for Lost Boys Chicken please up your game.

Date of visit: June 2021
Shelter Hall, Marketing at Shelter Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2021

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review - I have passed on your comments to Lost Boys. I do hope you'll return again, perhaps to sample one of our other six menus.

Reviewed 8 June 2021 via mobile

Great food by Ox Block. Booked a table and were seated inside but by a balcony which was perfect. Order via app which was a little slow to download but our drinks came really quickly. We chose sharing meal from Ox Block which was a delicious mix of steak, lamb and chicken, with flat bread, roast new potatoes and sweet corn. Food was hot and generous in size. Only downside is if you want to order more drinks you have to do so via the app. Service was excellent. Although the app works well once downloaded it would be nice to see an actual menu and be able to order more drinks from the servers.

Date of visit: May 2021
Shelter Hall, Marketing at Shelter Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2021

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a review! The balconies are the best seat in the house - especially if you're there to catch the sunset. Soon we will have more staff on the floor who will be able to take your drinks orders. Look forward to welcoming you again soon.