“Gimme Shelter”

Shelter Hall
Get food delivered
Ranked #233 of 1,201 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Description: Shelter Hall is Brighton's seafront food market and bar. Featuring seven unique kitchen led by Sussex chefs, well-stocked bar featuring local craft beers, wines by the glass and expertly mixed cocktails, and a weekly line-up of live music.
Reviewed 18 May 2021

....but just not here, please! Outdoor seating area is crowded and the pub garden picnic benches are uncomfortable after half an hour or so. But then again, this doesn't seem to be a venue which encourages its customers to linger.
After the usual hassle with connection and the dreaded QR codes, we eventually collected our crab sandwiches, ordered from Caught.. They were very ordinary....embarrassingly so. Just a dollop of mush slapped between two slices of processed wholemeal. No attempt to add a bit of garnish to give the sandwiches a touch of "plate appeal"... I mean, even I can make a better crab sandwich than that! The price wasn't ordinary, 'though: £11.50 per sandwich. Ouch.
We've waited a long, long time in Brighton for Shelter Hall to open, and we were promised the best food from the best of the city's chefs. On this showing, it wasn't worth the wait.

1  Thank gileanm
Write a reviewReviews (105)

Reviewed 16 May 2021 via mobile

Booked a table in advance and glad we did as there was quite a long queue waiting for tables. Staff are very friendly and service is great. Had a couple of dishes from @crabshack- our fav Worthing restaurant. Super clean and organised. Very good drinks selection and all table service.
Can't wait to return when the indoor seating opens.

Date of visit: May 2021
Shelter Hall, Marketing at Shelter Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2021

Thanks for your lovely review, look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 May 2021

Food great. Reasonable prices. Great concept and nice decor inside. It's pretty much self service so no concerns around that, and the fact you can order elements from the various stalls is a great idea. A couple of gripes from our visit. Firstly ordering from the Web page was a bit fiddly, the descriptions were a bit hit and miss and the website wasn't great, but we managed in the end. The other gripe was the food didn't come all together, so we had sides getting cold whilst we waited for one of the mains, from a different stall. I had to go ask for it in the end. We eventually got a message to say it was ready an hour and 40 mins after, but it was OK, we still enjoyed the food. It will be great once the place can open fully

Date of visit: May 2021
Shelter Hall, Marketing at Shelter Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2021

Sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience with the food delivery. The food is all prepared from different kitchens, so it will always be ready at different times but you should not have an excessive wait for it. We have made a big change in our operations and are now delivering all food to table, which has helped to solve some of the issues with the ordering process. Hopefully you'll return for a smoother experience!

Reviewed 13 May 2021

If you go here make sure your mobile phones are fully charged as working the App out when you are a techno dinosaur takes time, both myself and my wife made our phones flat and spent an hour of our 1.5 hour limited booking time trying to order a drink and some food without success. You need a QR reader your bank card and a good idea of what you want to order before you get there. You also need to be good at planning as ordering food from different places takes time. We actually in the end went inside and asked at the counter. Our Pizza took 6 minutes and our fries took 2 minutes and you have to collect them yourself when they are ready (So wear your sports clothing as you will run around a lot and get your steps in for the day here) Here is the next bit after all of the running around I found out that the app adds a service charge for the staff doing nothing but cooking. To be fair the staff behind the counters were really understanding and accommodating as this didn't seem to be a 1 off issue and a couple of people said the App was rubbish.
I would like to say that the VIP pizzas are the best we have had and more than enough for 1 person and possibly a sharer. Would we go back? yes I would give it another go but I would take someone who is technical with me to place the orders. Yesterday was booked for my birthday and luckily a Wednesday and not a Saturday as we would have had to go on time. It was quite a stressful experience until we were sorted.

Date of visit: May 2021

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It's really valuable for us, and we have made a key change since your last visit. We now deliver all food to table, as well as drinks, so you're no longer required to collect. I hope you will return and have a much more relaxing experience.

Reviewed 11 May 2021

We visited this during lockdown when you could only eat outside and despite there being tables free outside we were told they were full but we could get takeout.

I eat from the Crab Shack which had a nice menu, I chose the Crab loaded fries. The fries were tasty but the crab topping was more like a tuna mayonnaise - it was difficult to really get the taste of fresh crab. Being where it is and going on the artisan vibe, I was expecting clumps of white crab meat but as I walked away I was shocked to see them bringing out a large catering tub (the type you get from a cash'n' carry) with the crab mayo topping in - not quite what I was expecting for the price I paid £14.50.

My partner had the chicken wings and fries from another stall and had no complaints saying the portion size and quality was worth the £14.50

I think there are three other stalls to try and the food looked lovely, you are paying near on restaurant prices for take away food. I think this place will do well and survive because of where it is and the fact it is the only place like it in Brighton.

Date of visit: May 2021
Shelter Hall, Marketing at Shelter Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2021

Hello,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. Once indoor dining is open, we will have a availability for an additional 250 guests, so it will be much easier to walk in and dine at Shelter Hall.

Sorry to hear that the crabby loaded fries didn't live up to expectation. The crab is freshly made every day with 70% white crab meat and 30% brown crab, mixed with lemon juice and zest, parsley, spring onions, some mayo, and a touch of fresh chilli. It's stored in large tubs in the fridge and then transferred to our serving trays, which I believe is what you saw. I just wanted to clarify that it's always made on site and never prebought. When you order in site, there are photos of the food on the app so it's clearer what each dish is and the crabby loaded fries are priced at £11.50. Please do send over a receipt to hello@shelterhall.co.uk if you were incorrectly charged.

I hope you will return to dine in once we're fully open and sample more of our seven kitchens.