“Must try in Dorset!!”
Review of The Wise Man Inn

The Wise Man Inn
Ranked #19 of 140 Restaurants in Dorchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Wise Man is where traditional village pub meets rustic gastro cuisine. Situated in the heart of the pretty village of West Stafford, only two miles from Dorchester, Philip and the team ensure a friendly welcome to all and will endeavour to make your visit a memorable one. We are also close to Hardy's Cottage which can be enjoyed on one of the many beautiful walks or popular cycle routes in the area. Our head chef Leigh leads a passionate team who endeavour to create great flavours and experiences. All of our dishes are made in house using the freshest ingredients and where possible we always buy local and in season. To sum up our menu its a collision of world flavours with rural Dorset and Great British Classics.
Reviewed 1 June 2021 via mobile

Must visit and very charming pub with innovative, refined British food.
Friendly staff and delicious dinner!
Must try the Camembert and asparagus starters and definitely the cheesecake desert!
Very good cocktails too!!

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (486)

Reviewed 30 May 2021

After phoning to see if a table was free we popped up to The Wise Man for lunch. We had visited many years ago and again we were not surprised by the standard of food delivered to us, the excellent customer care shown. As a party of three adults a table had been reserved for us and we received a warm welcome by James. We ordered drinks with me being particularly difficult as I asked for a chance of a Long Island Ice Tea to which James said of course he could make it Yaaay. It was delicious so Well Done.We ordered a Deli Board and Falafels with flat bread all was absolutely delicious. Very fresh, each part of the dish had excellent flavour from the Squash and goats cheese sausage roll to the Blue Vinny cheese Well done The Wise Man for a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 23 May 2021

Nice pub, nice beer but somewhat disappointing meal. A) 75 minutes from arrival (pre-booked) to meal actually arriving, B) no vegetables included with children’s meal or with main courses.

Sorry to be negative but think its reasonable to expect a bit better than this on both counts.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 20 May 2021 via mobile

Five of us ate there yesterday and ever one of us had a delicious meal. Nice environment, polite staff and reasonable prices for high quality food

Reviewed 23 April 2021 via mobile

It really does say something when I enjoy my Aldi sea salt & chardonnay vinegar 25g packet of crisps after I get home from supposedly a lovely 1st meal out after lock down @ the Wise Man Inn, west stafford Dorset. More than the meal I just had there after leaving hungry and fed up. Where do I start? Plonked outside front door in the cold when I requested a table with heater at the rear if available. Would not have minded if it had been explained to me & I hadn't watched 2 other couples who had not requested it moved to the back! We thought we would bite the bullet and give it a go anyhow. Drinks order was fairly prompt & that folks was that. 30 minutes went past before I had to tell someone we wanted to order food. In the mean time I had ordered another Guinness.... In fairness my 1st pint in about 6 months was lovely but 2nd pint tasted vile, chemical like. My drink did get replaced and we put this down to a dodgy glass. The FOOD! my god its poor terrible Fish & chips where was the fish? a tiny scrap of fish for 15 odd quid. The home cooked chips - most were raw in the middle. The potatoes used were poor white potatoes not a potato that is a good chipping potato, the chef should know better. Mushy peas tasteless & the worst homemade tartar sauce I have ever eaten. Why use a cheap mayonnaise to add ingredients to? Not all of us are blind.
My partner's burger was equally as bad for seasoning. Asked the waitress for some brown sauce but what was sent, after smothering all over the burger, was a brownish like sweet sticky sauce that was nearly frozen this ruined the anyhow tastless burger. We were completely ignored out the front for the duration of our meal & when I went inside to the toilet the girls behind the bar were stood chatting. Also 3 lots of people sat on the table next to us with no sanitising or even cleaning between customers, shocking! We happily paid our £48 bill without leaving a tip so we could go home for crisps & ice cream from Aldi & the Coop that we thoroughly enjoyed.

2  Thank Steve D