“Brilliant meals”

Price range: US$4 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: BREATHING NEW LIFE IN TO DORSET’S FOOD AND DRINK SCENE Founder James Fowler (2014 World Class UK Bartender of the year) and his highly skilled & dedicated team are breathing a refreshing and much needed, new life into East Dorset’s food and drink scene. Infused with traditions of bygone eras and through continuous researching into the greatest foods from around the U.K & Europe, The Larder House is rapidly winning the hearts of the countries foodie elite and local residents. A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE & ATMOSPHERE LIKE NO OTHER. The wood fired oven is at the core of the restaurant & bar, but what’s most inspiring is the seamless synergy between the kitchen and front of house. The enthusiasm is abundant and the research that goes into their offering is intriguing. This ensures that everything you order has a story to tell, be it their range of unordinary back bar spirits or the range of charcuterie & cheeses that they showcase.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We have returned to The Larder House many times now and have absolutely loved every morsel served to us. The quality of the ingredients is evident and has clearly been carefully chosen and very well cooked by some very talented chefs. There is real passion in this place and one could easily mistake this restaurant for being in the heart of Spain. I love the menu choices, especially the vegetarian options, my husband loves the ham hock and given a choice of where to go for Sunday lunch, this is the place he will choose every time. Wine choices are great too. We have taken friends there who also rave about this place (and they are THE pickiest people on this planet!!), they even came with us to the fantastic New Year's Eve party held at The Larder House. And now they have opened the Terroir Tapas restaurant so am torn as to where to go as it is equally as delicious with as much love and care going into the food.

KatieBaird, General Manager at The Larder House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hello!

We are ever so glad to hear about your love for the Larderhouse and Terroir Tapas! We try our hardest to ensure that all customers leave 100% satisfied and the fact we've managed this with the 'pickiest people on this planet' has all our staff smiling.

I'm sure we'll cater for you again soon, we look forward to it!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I've twice been to The Larder House and regret to say that I won't be returning. The food was excellent and the staff were friendly, my issue on both occasions however was the environment. If we were in Majorca, I'd welcome the opportunity to eat in a semi sheltered external space, but on a rainy cold evening in England it's less appealing. Whilst efforts have been made with outdoor heaters to provide comfort, they are not an efficient heat source, so on both occasions I've been sat with cold feet. To compound matters, as we arrived, we were led through what looked to be a warm, comfortable, intimate dining area. I ask myself, what do I have to do to eat in here? Why am I being relegated to a shack? The prices in my opinion should reflect not just the quality of service and food, but also the environment. I suggest that a discount should be offered to those sat outside in winter months to reflect the clear disparity between the experience that those on the inside are enjoying to those on the outside. This is just constructive criticism and not a moan fest. So much is right about the restaurant and it would a shame that a need to increase covers at all costs compromises the quality of the experience for diners.

3  Thank derek751
Reviewed 18 March 2018

My husband and I went there for Valentines Day dinner and wound up sick. Unhygienic the way that food is left out uncovered. Used to be good but now looks tacky with fake dusty plants hanging from the ceiling over diners. Rip off prices for poor quality food. Uninspiring menu. Drinks charged for more than what is listed on the menu. Charity charge forced upon you. We’ll never be back.

7  Thank greenladybourne
KatieBaird, General Manager at The Larder House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Good Evening Paula,

It's such a shame to hear of your complaint yet again & now to add on an extensive list of other complaints further to your original.

I say that it is a shame because I responded to your e-mail initially straight away & offered you apologies, explanations, reassurance, advice & the option to still take this further if you were unhappy and I would happily guide you through the correct procedures that we would need to follow. However, I had no response and now only slander on Social Media sites now keeps popping up before you actually have any real proof only speculation...

If we truly believe we are at fault, we will absolutely hold our hands up. On this occasion mind, we really couldn't see that we were. You complained to us that you and your husband began to feel ill by the time of your desserts arrival and that the only thing you had shared together were our complimentary Jerez Carrots which are marinated in Fino Sherry, Garlic & Cumin that we hand out as a gesture pre-dinner and consist of around 8-10 round slices of carrot... As explained to you in my response e-mail, the other 90 or so guests on our busy Valentines evening had exactly the same, from the exact same batch...that were made in the morning service of the day in question which was dated/recorded.

We place the carrots ready for service at the Front of House under a plastic cover on our deli station to bring to room temperature as they are much more enjoyable and pleasant to eat at this temperature. We have done this for the 7 years we have been open. Our crackers are kept in sealed jars & the Jamon de Teruel is unwrapped for service and hand carved to order and then wrapped up again at the end of service.

I did mention that if I heard of any other feedback or complaints I would certainly be in touch. I did not. I did inform you also that we had received numerous cancellations the week surrounding due to illness so we hoped that perhaps this could have been useful information or to perhaps look at other meals you had both eaten in the previous 48 hours to help you investigate further. It is in no way to ignore your complaint but to merely try and help you get to the bottom as we are satisfied everything was above board here at Larder!

We carried out all the correct checks within the kitchen team that we would with any (incredibly RARE) food poisoning complaint and found there to be no stand out reasons or illnesses within the team that would equate to this scenario. We are proud to say that we have a food hygiene rating of 5 and adhere to keep up the requirements needed to ascertain this reward.

I'm disappointed to see that you now feel it is necessary to attack other aspects of the business as well.. the fake plants you say are dusty I only hung from the beams the previous week - I believe the 8th February if you check our social media where we announced so. I hope we are not accumulating that much dust in 6 days and that it can even be seen in the late hour of the evening when you dined but I appreciate your feedback nonetheless and it has been noted - Thank you! We do however agree that fake is not necessarily ideal and have had real before. We will take this on board for further reference.

The Charity we support is in no way forced upon our customers. It is a charity we have supported for a while now and run the campaign for a few months over the duration of the year within the restaurant. We are immensely proud of the money we have raised each year and grateful to our customers for helping us in doing so. James who is an ambassador for the charity is currently about to venture on a trek to Nepal raising money yet again. We appreciate that customers like to have their choice to support charities of their own choosing, this is something I even believe in myself. The information regarding the charity is on each of our tables & placed within the bill tray too. Which mentions within how it is a voluntary £1 added to your food bill and we absolutely can & will remove it from your bill. It's the way the charity runs the fund-raising campaign across many restaurants in the country. If you would like me to refund you this I can and only wish you had mentioned at the time of dining. I do however understand how it can cause an awkward scenario but please be assured it is not and we would never make you feel that way.

Like I mentioned above, it really is a shame that you feel this retaliation is the way to respond to this issue and that you're left with a tainted view on our beautiful restaurant. I only wish you could understand from our point of view how as a small independent restaurant to refund an entire bill based on the information given and the facts that we have is just not feasible. We will however adhere to help in anyway we can with investigations and if fault was to be found would absolutely have done so.

We did receive a EHO visit on Monday on the back of a complaint from a couple claiming food poisoning from uncovered food at the front of the restaurant. The officer deemed the claim to be invalid he found all foods to be covered and areas clean. He also stated that the food poising the couple were suffering from has an onset time of 3 days and therefore was not a result of our restaurant. I can only assume this was off the back of your complaint as it is the only one to our knowledge and after you had stated you had reported us. We will always happily work with the EHO & our customers in their investigations as we will always take these claims very seriously. We were very pleased but not surprised to hear these results.

We pride ourselves on quality ingredients, well educated and knowledgeable, friendly staff and giving our diners a dining experience we feel is like no other locally! We believe our prices are based at the right end of the market for the service and standard we provide our guests. We have just recently won an award for creative concept of the year from the BAPTA awards, based on our creative restaurant and dining concepts. So we will continue doing what we are do here at The Larderhouse & will always be immensely proud of what we do and enjoy all the positives we do hear. We will always take on board positive and negative feedback and do our upmost to move forward as a business, learning from our customers feedback. So Thank you.

Finally I would just like to add that although it saddens us to lose a customer as you say you won't be returning but we will not be welcoming you back to the restaurant anyway.

We wish you both all the best in your future dining ventures!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We had our Wedding feast at the Larder House and loved every moment of it, from planning to final drinks in the cocktail bar on the night. Katie was brilliant to work with in the lead up to the day, making brilliant suggestions, listening to our ideas and reassuring us they had everything in hand. The team welcomed all our guests so warmly, and the food, there was so much food and all diets were catered for.
We used the whole venue, speeches in the courtyard, feast inside, cocktails in the library and then dancing back downstairs. My new husband and I look forward to celebrating many more special occasions at the Larder House.

KatieBaird, General Manager at The Larder House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thank you guys!!!!!!

It was an absolute pleasure to look after you both through the planning to your beautiful day!

Our team loved the day too and you and your guests were fab! It was a lot of fun to work.

Congratulations again to you both and we wish you all best for your future together.

Hope to see you soon on your next visit to Bournemouth!

Love The Larderhouse Team! x

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Been to the larder house previously and for large events such as birthdays etc and the food is beautiful.

But my favourite bit is the cute bar upstairs.
"The library " is like a speak easy bar with really old world feel to it. The house white wine is so easy to drink it's dangerous. But always feel like I get a great education on every drink I ordered.

And it has a cute outdoor patio area for smokers and vapors.

Recomend for romantic evening or saficticated drinking evening with friends.

Thank you Siobhan for your review!

That little terrance is my favourite bit too!

Many hours can be lost in that space.

We're glad you love the time but - Please remember to drink responsibly! :)

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Love The Larderhouse Team xx